fred90

thin on the ground

For me it has to be 100%. I have a net upstair with more and i cant Hank it correctly as I am used to doing the 100% bag. If you don't pick it up!right it won't run out right 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

As for bagging Fred what’s your opinion on % ?.

I have always been taught to use 100% bagging never used any less. smithies point & yourself about too much & not hanking up properly has learnt me something I didn't know about. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smithie said:

Editted as link did  not work

YouTube Simon Whitehead longnetting cumbria

Watch how bob hanks up those nets..😂

Mr wilks gave me the net.. he thought it shite or it would still be his lol

• Haha 2

If there was ever a time I was going to skimp on bagging it was when I made this pissing thing 😀

30084953854_0a77d40fc4_o.jpg.a61d88bfd25520ebeeebab095fe4f1d9.jpg

I got it done with a 100% and it catches fine. Yes I dropped a mesh on the running line lol

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

The first net of my own was a 100 yarder that I got off of an old Fellah from Nottinghamshire  me and  a old lad set it up one night at a place named Launde Abbey , when we walked to the field of and reached the net the sheeting was blowing lie a Spanish Galleon in full sail , them Notts lads could rig a net .

I am from right on the Derbyshire /Nottinghamshire border. there used to be loads of old longnetting chaps all local. for some reason 70yd nets where the most popular always 100% bag

3 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Did you ever run out with the old timers Fred ?.

no it's a generation I missed out on. fortunately 1 of the old guys showed me the ropes & gave me a net. he was well retired by this time but his knowledge was a great gift to me. 

• Like 1

You are very lucky . I couldn’t get anyone to teach me so used a quickset for years before I travelled to Suffolk and was taught how to peg as you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

You are very lucky . I couldn’t get anyone to teach me so used a quickset for years before I travelled to Suffolk and was taught how to peg as you go.

strangely enough all the old timers employed the backpegging method. no one would peg as you go. I think reason for this was there was that many at it no-one ever had to go on there own. 

3 minutes ago, fred90 said:

strangely enough all the old timers employed the backpegging method. no one would peg as you go. I think reason for this was there was that many at it no-one ever had to go on there own. 

Maybe they was not as botherd about spooking a rabbit or three due to the shear numbers that once was. Now you can't afford to spook three as they might be nothing left once they run off. Causing the netter of a More recent time to think a little more about how they go about it?

25 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Ha ha. I only had to  go 30 miles

• Haha 1