thin on the ground

fred90

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is basically it. I don't do so much now since having the lurcher as I would rather run him. But also if you get it right the long netting can be pretty effective. If you have a spot with ten rabb

A fella called Abraham Stanley took me under is wing when I was a boy and he would talk about old days befor mixy when large numbers were taken with webs and wands.quick set wasn't about in them days

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag

Posted Images

If there was ever a time I was going to skimp on bagging it was when I made this pissing thing ?

30084953854_0a77d40fc4_o.jpg.a61d88bfd25520ebeeebab095fe4f1d9.jpg

I got it done with a 100% and it catches fine. Yes I dropped a mesh on the running line lol

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

The first net of my own was a 100 yarder that I got off of an old Fellah from Nottinghamshire  me and  a old lad set it up one night at a place named Launde Abbey , when we walked to the field of and reached the net the sheeting was blowing lie a Spanish Galleon in full sail , them Notts lads could rig a net .

3 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Did you ever run out with the old timers Fred ?.

no it's a generation I missed out on. fortunately 1 of the old guys showed me the ropes & gave me a net. he was well retired by this time but his knowledge was a great gift to me. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

You are very lucky . I couldn’t get anyone to teach me so used a quickset for years before I travelled to Suffolk and was taught how to peg as you go.

strangely enough all the old timers employed the backpegging method. no one would peg as you go. I think reason for this was there was that many at it no-one ever had to go on there own. 

3 minutes ago, fred90 said:

strangely enough all the old timers employed the backpegging method. no one would peg as you go. I think reason for this was there was that many at it no-one ever had to go on there own. 

Maybe they was not as botherd about spooking a rabbit or three due to the shear numbers that once was. Now you can't afford to spook three as they might be nothing left once they run off. Causing the netter of a More recent time to think a little more about how they go about it?

Just now, smithie said:

Maybe they was not as botherd about spooking a rabbit or three due to the shear numbers that once was. Now you can't afford to spook three as they might be nothing left once they run off. Causing the netter of a More recent time to think a little more about how they go about it?

sounds about right. remember we are talking times when there was big numbers. chap who taught me had 63 on 1 drop 2 nets. 

I dont know how far back pegging as you go became popular but I know it was before I began. But there was a time when the internet became popular and a place where like minded people could bounce/discuss ideas. I'm sure some would have been pegging as you went before tinternet happened but a lot more since..