thin on the ground

fred90

4 minutes ago, micky said:

THE  QUICK SET IS NOT A NEW THING AND IF YOU DO COME TO USE ONE YOU WILL SEE AND HARVEST THE BENIFITS

I just don't like the look of all them baskets and stuff Micky. I need a bloody sherpa half the time as it is ?

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is basically it. I don't do so much now since having the lurcher as I would rather run him. But also if you get it right the long netting can be pretty effective. If you have a spot with ten rabb

A fella called Abraham Stanley took me under is wing when I was a boy and he would talk about old days befor mixy when large numbers were taken with webs and wands.quick set wasn't about in them days

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, micky said:

THE  QUICK SET IS NOT A NEW THING AND IF YOU DO COME TO USE ONE YOU WILL SEE AND HARVEST THE BENIFITS

what do you prefer micky? like Terry I have never used a quickset. what are the benefits. 

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

We thought about getting some rigged up with baskets but truth is unless ye make em yaself it gonna end up real costly an fiddly to fix them when shit goes wry ? I cant even fix a purse net truth be told ?? an me feet are too itchy to let me learn, every time I sit an think I could stick YouTube in an watch a net making vid, I then think ahh fcuk it I’ll take dog ratting or bushing/ferreting or fishing or whatever ? an but a new net, after all how long an how much material is it gonna take me to even compare to netriggers nets ???

you will be dead before you get anywhere near that chap???

18 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I refused to use a quick set for a long time but after me nets were pinched the guy I ferret with got a quick set, used it few times an must admit for the ferreting job it’s great, I still like the traditional net tho an the fact it’s so versatile, but likes been said if you ain’t willing to listen  an learn then ye won’t get better, it’s thay simple an no matter. How good ye think ye are with the webs, somebody somewhere will teach ye summat ?

Iwatched a film on you tube on some blokes long netting up North  they were lamping the rabbits in and though caught a few  their netting up was crap Rabbits were bouncing off one after the other if the had double the Bagging they would have doubled the bag if they had used Trammel nets they would have nabbed the lot

The lights were on to show what was happening but the Rabbits still hit the net and bounced off time and time again , more bagging would have stopped a lot of that , I think that now days  people do not expect to catch a lot so their nets are rigged accordingly  but back in the day the old timers rigged their nets  for a lot more and even with  a lad killing at the back of the net  things could get out off hand .

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, micky said:

The lights were on to show what was happening but the Rabbits still hit the net and bounced off time and time again , more bagging would have stopped a lot of that , I think that now days  people do not expect to catch a lot so their nets are rigged accordingly  but back in the day the old timers rigged their nets  for a lot more and even with  a lad killing at the back of the net  things could get out off hand .

what are you saying micky? 100% bagging not enough? ie 50yd net = 100yd of netting. would you prefer more than this? 

I  don't  know about % but every time I see a net put up I think  that is not enough for me , most nets can deal with one rabbit in a section but could they deal with 4 or 5 , each to their own but I have seen many times that the more bagging a net has the better it catches . In the 50s I was only a kid and just caught the end of it and heard the tales of the old uns and they were fantastic but every one of them wanted more bagging,...…… can you have to much ?

P1010185_zps92fda08b.jpg

I’ve never used a trammel , I have seen pics and they look well balled up, I must admit I wouldn’t like to kill off and empty a trammel in the dark, as for 100% bagging (kill) in a net, you would be foolish to use any less imo and any more would take a little extra practice to hank up ( properly) .

9 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

I’ve never used a trammel , I have seen pics and they look well balled up, I must admit I wouldn’t like to kill off and empty a trammel in the dark, as for 100% bagging (kill) in a net, you would be foolish to use any less imo and any more would take a little extra practice to hank up ( properly) .

They can be a pain to get out  but they get in quick enough,  which is what I prefer

5 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

As for bagging Fred what’s your opinion on % ?.

I have always been taught to use 100% bagging never used any less. smithies point & yourself about too much & not hanking up properly has learnt me something I didn't know about. 

• Like 1