thin on the ground

fred90

not many posts on here lately. apart from missing out on a few early drops beginning of season I haven't looked like using my nets this time as rabbits very thin on the ground. apart from Mr Wilkes & smithies trip well done by the way is everyone else in the same boat? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is basically it. I don't do so much now since having the lurcher as I would rather run him. But also if you get it right the long netting can be pretty effective. If you have a spot with ten rabb

A fella called Abraham Stanley took me under is wing when I was a boy and he would talk about old days befor mixy when large numbers were taken with webs and wands.quick set wasn't about in them days

IMO the quickset is awkward and cumbersome and anybody can run one out , the traditional way of end pins and pegs is a skill and to perfectly hank a net after use so it runs out with the required bag

Posted Images

That is basically it. I don't do so much now since having the lurcher as I would rather run him. But also if you get it right the long netting can be pretty effective. If you have a spot with ten rabbits on the right night you have a chance of bagging the lot or the bulk of them.
With numbers so low the last 4 years I go easy.

This spot was a nice blind set you could do on a full moon if you wanted. You could go there any time of day and see rabbits. Now there is nothing. Lamped it a few times and not seen one.

IMGP1929.JPG.5ee4aa9ab35b6e7ca24ab5d84633eb97.JPG

• Like 4

I used to do a very good blind drop in a quarry at Thrapston  , the Rabbits came out along the only  road in or out   to feed  , it was about 60 yards across and the man who took me there said back in the day it was worth putting two nets out as the first net  could be pulled down done by the number of Rabbits being caught but the most we had was 14 , I did manage to trap a lot there though .

Picture025.jpg

• Like 2

Just common sense  and he had his share  terry , once bitten and all that , funny enough I was looking at some man made rabbit warrens up here  [ Yorkshire ]  and saw some man made and they had been built and positioned just has he had described  doing them with his dad as a boy.

IMG_0051_zps046cbaa5.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, terryd said:

That is basically it. I don't do so much now since having the lurcher as I would rather run him. But also if you get it right the long netting can be pretty effective. If you have a spot with ten rabbits on the right night you have a chance of bagging the lot or the bulk of them.
With numbers so low the last 4 years I go easy.

This spot was a nice blind set you could do on a full moon if you wanted. You could go there any time of day and see rabbits. Now there is nothing. Lamped it a few times and not seen one.

IMGP1929.JPG.5ee4aa9ab35b6e7ca24ab5d84633eb97.JPG

looked a nice little drop. see you still use the traditional nets. 

11 minutes ago, fred90 said:

hopefully things will improve next season & beyond. I like this section there doesn't seem much squabbling like on others. maybe we are all of a certain agIe ?

It is not an age thing , it is that you have an interest in something and can accept another persons opinion good or bad  with out complaint unlike the pack of Wankers who troll General  talk .

P1010175_zps287e5a96.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, terryd said:

I don't own a quick set never seen the attraction plus its nice to keep with tradition 

THE  QUICK SET IS NOT A NEW THING AND IF YOU DO COME TO USE ONE YOU WILL SEE AND HARVEST THE BENIFITS

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Terry ,Is one of those nets Alan’s ?.

They are both Allans. The grey one is an old fishing net. Must be a fair few years old.  The last net he made me just a year or ago  was a nice little 15 yarder which I often carry around.

35835832376_62393e08c8_o.jpg.4c36e7c0afadc823123b200950a15dd6.jpg

Had a rabbit with it this morning ferreting. Nice handy little length

• Like 3