R.I.P....

he was great character in it ain half hot mum.....I think for most of us kids back then its what we thought a sargent major was really like.....and as an adult you hope they are too....

like the drill instructer in full metal jacket....us civvies hope those characters are spot on and true to life in an over dramatized way....

• Like 4

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved the programme , sadly cant see it back on the telly unless they find an episode that wont offend the delicate snowflakes which will be hard RIP

Windsor Davies R.I.P (Cant believe I beat the grim reaper).

I used to love this as a kid R.I.P Mr Davies sir.  

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, TOMO said:

he was great character in it ain half hot mum.....I think for most of us kids back then its what we thought a sargent major was really like.....and as an adult you hope they are too....

like the drill instructer in full metal jacket....us civvies hope those characters are spot on and true to life in an over dramatized way....

The drill sergeant in full metal jacket was a real drill sergeant. He was brought in for technical advice and research but he was exactly what they wanted so stanley Kubrick gave him the part.?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey He died last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can quite imagine him holding off about three rampant Zulu with fixed bayonet like Colour Sargent Bourne in the film Zulu. My father fought the japs up the jungle in Burma.  Very hard conditions.  RIP.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jiggy said:

The drill sergeant in full metal jacket was a real drill sergeant. He was brought in for technical advice and research but he was exactly what they wanted so stanley Kubrick gave him the part.?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey He died last year.

Lee emery was an actor who was a drill Sgt in a past life 

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

Bullshit I can't hear you

Sound off like you got a pair

2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Lee emery was an actor who was a drill Sgt in a past life 

Yes but the point been he was a drill sergeant so nailed the part perfectly. He was only asked for technical advice on that particular role but was then given the part. He didn't apply or audition for it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Meece said:

I can quite imagine him holding off about three rampant Zulu with fixed bayonet like Colour Sargent Bourne in the film Zulu. My father fought the japs up the jungle in Burma.  Very hard conditions.  RIP.

my granddad as well...he was in tanks in Burma.....

3 hours ago, mackem said:

Must have been horrendous conditions mate 100% humidity and 35+ degrees heat sweating buckets.

he never much talked about it....but that generation didn't did they......theres only a few bits I know....and of course none of it was about battle or killing other soldiers ...

he told me when he went in in 1939 right at the start...he was 12 stone.....when he came out in 45 after vj day....he was 7 stone....he was never captured or anything....just when they were fighting in the jungles of Burma....they rarely got supplies , planes  would drop them but never on target....and when they rolled in to some village they couldn't eat or drink anything cos the japs poisoned everything whilst reatreating

• Like 4