HUNTING WITH CLASSIC AIR RIFLES

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found myself invoved in a bit of Old School air-gunning today.          I was in the middle of checking a few squirrel cages in a customer's garden when a call came from farmer . Half a dozen f

Late to the conversation but here’s my tuppence worth. HW80 in .20 bought in ‘96 with Lazaglide action by Venom and GinB stock

Maybe not quite "Hunting with a Classic Air rifle" but there isn't  a section for hunting with a 51 year old  Relum that l bought new with £10's worth of my school dinner money?

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Been shooting pests on a farm. Millions of them.....well I was finished for the day when the farmers father turns up, 78, with an old tatty looking webley mk3 in 177. He bought it second hand over 50years ago!

When I asked how he was doing with it he said he was getting a few with it. Never asked what pellets he was using. Should of, he probably  would of produced a tin with Lincoln Jeffreys written on it!!

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Back in the 70s when my mates all had knackered  hand- me -down Meteors and Dianas ,or in my case a Relum bought new with my school  dinner money ,  this sort of kit would've  been way beyond our dreams and purchasing power 

Only a retired Colonel or your dodgy uncle would've owned a FWB 127 !

Fast forward a few decades and how things have changed ; the rifle was a gift from a customer and only needed a seal and a fiddle to bring it to life and even the Milbro  pellets came free . The old Nikko scope had dodged between various guns since 1980 but looks like it has found a permanent  home as part of the vintage set-up.

After a zeroing session during which my compost heap took a battering, l took to the fields yesterday evening.

20210419_210551.jpg.08099e65c3684ae36231bdfad451a951.jpg

• Like 3

Had a lot of fun years back with a Wembley Vulcan .I butchered the stock with a Stanley knife to feather the forend .Was in .177 and I remember taking squigs with ease .No safety catch on that model .Could walk through town back then with gun under arm and nobody batted an eyelid except a knowing nod from an old boy .

Got it taken off me eventually by a copper for shooting ferals off the town hall in blatant  daylight .

Punishment was to watch it incinerated at Devises HQ lol.I bought the hw80 after that ,had it tuned to 16 ft/lb and regularly shot geese off the lake near me for my then lurcher to retrieve .

Swapped that for a crossbow which was shite .By then the axsor came about and me it were as one ?

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I simply don't use it any more, comes out for a clean and check every now and again, Airsporter from about 1972, bought new by me and still as new condition/performance.   Dealt with a lot in years gone by.   Seems a shame, anyone interested drop me a PM.BSAa.jpg.a466a3686069291d8ec3939734c07f93.jpg

BSA1a.jpg.10c267d08a26b670e22d33cff7276728.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, comanche said:

Maybe not quite "Hunting with a Classic Air rifle" but there isn't  a section for hunting with a 51 year old  Relum that l bought new with £10's worth of my school dinner money?20230312_172935.jpg.7496548df98ced6a36c89f861f953386.jpg

Love it .Had a bsa meteor for a short time but had it stolen .Nowadays the  only retro  hunting I do is with a rapid mk1 in .22 fac .love it .

• Like 1

Lots of Relums around when I was growing up. Very "Eastern Bloc" in build quality but some had the legendary double springs which was coveted. When power was king and accuracy and consistency secondary consideration. Obviously still doing the job at 51 though, can't be bad.

• Like 1

I've got an old airsporter in bits here that my father restored , a project for me later , I began with a BSA meteor then a supersport but until I got a rapid 7 I didn't kill much then I got a rapid 20/12 and by feck I killed some bits with that lol...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Borr said:

I've got an old airsporter in bits here that my father restored , a project for me later , I began with a BSA meteor then a supersport but until I got a rapid 7 I didn't kill much then I got a rapid 20/12 and by feck I killed some bits with that lol...

I d say the rapid revolutionised airgun hunting mate .Certainly did for me  .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I liked the relum tornado I had in the 90s very accurate balanced gun in all fairness.

I was not meaning to be disrespectful to the Relum or anyone who shoots them it is just that back then stuff that came from behind the Iron Curtain was a bit agricultural. CZ rifles (not now), Baikal shotguns, Zenith 35mm SLR camera's and Relum air rifles etc. Have owned them all and they all did the job.

8 hours ago, foxdropper said:

I d say the rapid revolutionised airgun hunting mate .Certainly did for me  .

The Rapid revolutionized almost everything airgun, even though it was far from being the first PCP.

It just seem to hit the mark with the public and professionals alike!

• Thanks 1