the falconry experience; is it possible to train a fox to hunt

golddigger

like most raptors the fox is swift smart and agile enough to capture most common preys. I have hunted for foxes and coyotes in the past and I have witness many foxes killing quail, rabbits, and even a small bambi while I was out exploring. so I have seen the potential a fox has. the idea came to me when I ran into a new friend in the woods, his red tailed hawk came after a rabbit decoy while I was waiting patiently to see what predators will show up. after talking much about his hobby, he told me as we were leaving that he has lost his 5th falcon to a fox. the bird was young and was after a grey squirrel when the bird finally downed the squirrel the fox snuck up and broke the poor falcons neck; very sad. while driving home I thought about what he has said. now I wonder if maybe itll be possible to train a fox to hunt . I don't know if it would be the most productive way of hunting but it might work and I think the training practice should be a lot like the technique used in falconry and hunting dogs. what do you all think?

• 2 months later...

On 17/01/2019 at 16:26, golddigger said:

like most raptors the fox is swift smart and agile enough to capture most common preys. I have hunted for foxes and coyotes in the past and I have witness many foxes killing quail, rabbits, and even a small bambi while I was out exploring. so I have seen the potential a fox has. the idea came to me when I ran into a new friend in the woods, his red tailed hawk came after a rabbit decoy while I was waiting patiently to see what predators will show up. after talking much about his hobby, he told me as we were leaving that he has lost his 5th falcon to a fox. the bird was young and was after a grey squirrel when the bird finally downed the squirrel the fox snuck up and broke the poor falcons neck; very sad. while driving home I thought about what he has said. now I wonder if maybe itll be possible to train a fox to hunt . I don't know if it would be the most productive way of hunting but it might work and I think the training practice should be a lot like the technique used in falconry and hunting dogs. what do you all think?

I think your doctor needs to lower the strength of your medication :thumbs:

• Haha 2
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:26, golddigger said:

Minkenry trained his mink to hunt alongside him,give it a go,you don't try you don't know,good luck :victory:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fox,ERS  do not tame well hardly at all .I've known quite a few that have tried difficult to get em to walk on a lead. So to get one to hunt to any standed  ,I don't no .they have a fear of people and can't be manned . but you can try .good luck

I'm not sure that it could be done /years ago I trained aveuropean eagle owl to hunt /after a good while I got its weight right everything spot on /the only problem I had was it would never give its prey up no matter what it was offered/I'd imagine a fox would be hard to get prey off to how you going to get it to hunting weight

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2019 at 16:26, golddigger said:

I was told that fox cubs in captivity are like pups until 7mts old and they change "call of the wild" .

apparently 70% of cubs get realeased again but around 30% can not be released as they become to tame ,and one of these could be trained I suppose .

rat catchers used them in 1800s so it can b done !

they belong in the wild 

On 03/07/2019 at 21:41, mushroom said:

Aye didn't someone on here have a grandad that had one. Used to curl up on the couch?

Sure it was used for ratting or something.

My uncul had one as a pet and it was like a dog ,he also had a badger cub that stayed with him for yrs .

badger got run over ,heart Brocken he was .

I reared a fox cub. He was more like a cat than a dog, I still liked him because he was a stubborn Cnut like myself. If you tried to get the little Cnut to do anything he would smartly tell you to fcuk off. He was right too why should he catch grub then give it to me. Only a lurcher could be that stupid .

• Thanks 1