Council has nothing better to do...

Absolutely gutted - 5 months ago I started working on a wildlife/bird feeding station at my local “nature reserve” in a quiet and discrete area away from the well used tracks, using all resources and materials collected from the reserve itself (felled logs, moss, broken branches and twigs). Since September I’ve been buying bird and squirrel food and visiting every day since filling feeders and keeping the area tidy. I have now had a phone call and meeting with Northumberland Council who have informed me that I have no permission to hang bird feeders, put up nest boxes, erect or build perches and tables or even feed wildlife at the site. I am extremely sad and also sickened that I have been given until Monday to dismantle the station, perches, nest boxes and feeders, also to STOP all feeding altogether otherwise the council are going to do the job for me and take everything down and away including nest boxes and feeders. So much for conservation and encouraging people to help wildlife and give nature a home, especially on a so called “nature reserve”.... I’ve had multiple species of woodland birds, owls, sparrowhawks, kestrels, red squirrels, roe deer and foxes visiting and now in the middle of winter I have to suddenly stop feeding, the council won’t even give me the good grace to carry on feeding until spring when natural food would be readily available...  I’m going to fight my corner and am seeking advice from Natural History Society of Northumbria and Northumberland Wildlife Trust, any help or advice appreciated.

D7F4E7E0-E693-44CC-8625-6407F480158D.jpeg

70C2B0F2-0A8C-4014-9E5B-4CDDC12AB428.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for all the comments/advice/replies and support... I have spoken to numerous professionals and associations etc about my situation, to cut things short, although my intentions are for the

It’s twigs sticks and moss ffs you bunch of girls all things you would find in the woods anyway he,s just rearranged them to suit the animals a bit more, no wonder were all f****d over constantly with

My God there's some sheep on here all rollover on yer backs for the council this is why the country is fucke d everyone rolls over and let's them control of everyone pulled together see be stronger an

Posted Images

I hate social media, but it does have its uses you should start a blog on face ache along with some of your lovely photo,s and highlight the councils error, nothing gets these people to listen unless it’s causing them embarrassment, send off your plight to a couple of bbc lovey,s like prick  packem and your local mps, kick up a stink and embarrass the twats it’s all they understand, 

• Like 1

I'm not following this but unless you have permission you have no right to erect or make anything on a Nature Reserve, the Council (or any owner) can't possibly let anyone who wants to just come on and start building their own creations!

Why didn't you get permission?

I'm sure your actions were well intentioned but I regret to say I see the Councils point of view!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

f**k the council, I no several people living in off grid accomatadion on other people’s land including the councils and FairPlay to them, that kind of the rules are the rules and we must follow like sheep attitude is as wank as saying if you have nothing to hide why would you object to being spyed on 24/7 by council cameras, if you challenge nothing you must just pull your pants down and bend over every time you get a council headed letter, grow a pair ffs 

I'm sure your a decent person. I'm sure your creation is well intentioned but you can't just build stuff on private land. 

We have lots of rough bits of ground around us. Some owned by council some by a water board, they are often then managed by different groups...but often you get some mad old bint who decides to become caretaker and guardian and they just become a pain in the arse. Feeding vermin, building health and safety risks (most people don't care but landowners are legally responsible) and trying to police anyone who does anything in the area. Not saying that's you just what I have seen happen. 

Maybe go beating, become friendly with the local keepers and ask if you can assist with some conservation work 

It’s twigs sticks and moss ffs you bunch of girls all things you would find in the woods anyway he,s just rearranged them to suit the animals a bit more, no wonder were all f****d over constantly with so many spineless so called men in among us, stick a high viz vest and a clip board on a monkey and you,d follow it, easy to see how so many our constantly f****d over by so few ??

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, zandy01 said:

Absolutely gutted - 5 months ago I started working on a wildlife/bird feeding station at my local “nature reserve” in a quiet and discrete area away from the well used tracks, using all resources and materials collected from the reserve itself (felled logs, moss, broken branches and twigs). Since September I’ve been buying bird and squirrel food and visiting every day since filling feeders and keeping the area tidy. I have now had a phone call and meeting with Northumberland Council who have informed me that I have no permission to hang bird feeders, put up nest boxes, erect or build perches and tables or even feed wildlife at the site. I am extremely sad and also sickened that I have been given until Monday to dismantle the station, perches, nest boxes and feeders, also to STOP all feeding altogether otherwise the council are going to do the job for me and take everything down and away including nest boxes and feeders. So much for conservation and encouraging people to help wildlife and give nature a home, especially on a so called “nature reserve”.... I’ve had multiple species of woodland birds, owls, sparrowhawks, kestrels, red squirrels, roe deer and foxes visiting and now in the middle of winter I have to suddenly stop feeding, the council won’t even give me the good grace to carry on feeding until spring when natural food would be readily available...  I’m going to fight my corner and am seeking advice from Natural History Society of Northumbria and Northumberland Wildlife Trust, any help or advice appreciated.

D7F4E7E0-E693-44CC-8625-6407F480158D.jpeg

70C2B0F2-0A8C-4014-9E5B-4CDDC12AB428.jpeg

Looks like u have done a cracking job. Keep up the good work get as many people involed as possible  

Council are shithouses give them half a chance and they will have plans for a housing estate on that land they don't care about conservation. 

And us hunters are the bad guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been there done that mate stick to your guns they will back down .me and a few lads decided to pull year's of rubbish from our local burn  and were told we would be prosecuted for fly tipping ! .we made it our duty to inform Joe public of councils intentions and social media got the better of them and they  ended up on board . 

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, ftm said:

Been there done that mate stick to your guns they will back down .me and a few lads decided to pull year's of rubbish from our local burn  and were told we would be prosecuted for fly tipping ! .we made it our duty to inform Joe public of councils intentions and social media got the better of them and they  ended up on board . 

Remember your case mate, good to see there are still a few people willing to stand up and be counted, glad it all ended well,✌️✌️✌️✌️