Mole numbers this winter ?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in the amount of moles, on their patch ?,...because of the long dry summer we had. I was guessing numbers would be down, where i am. But im pleased to say, i was wrong about that !   lol    cause there seems to be more about, on a fair amount of ground here, compared to the same time last December/January ?

56 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

I am catching, but they are in deeper runs than normal, not big numbers, as in less than expected, but they are putting a lot of soil up at the moment, how’s the wood barrelled traps doing 

Aye, ave noticed that too, how the mole activity can vary, from year to year. Still setting the odd wood barrel , along with the Duffus mate. Trouble is they are more time consuming to set, when your busy,....? (PM you there)

Edited by earth-thrower
4 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

Aye, ave noticed that too, how the mole activity can vary, from year to year. Still setting the odd wood barrel , along with the Duffus mate. Trouble is they are more time consuming to set, when your busy,....? (PM you there)

This weather front will cause some mess, as soon as the ground hardens the boys will be spreading slurry, and collapsing the runs with the tanker/ tractors, then you will see some soil pushed up, when they clean out, its been that mild bloody grass was starting to grow, its going to be a interesting yr that’s a fact,

• Like 1
On 18/01/2019 at 17:53, trappa said:

Getting solid numbers here but definately down on last few years. This is 30+ from this morning. 

Higher ground has far fewer moles than usual. 

20190118_134310.jpg

Do you generally get alot of rain, or not, where you are trappa ?,.....i think cause we get that much of it throughout the year here,  the moles still found the damp spots, even in the long dry summer we had last .....(possibly even helped them somehow ! ,.....cause im still a little surprised, at the amount of activity),....never had as hot & dry a summer in these parts , for a long time.

On 20/01/2019 at 01:00, earth-thrower said:

Do you generally get alot of rain, or not, where you are trappa ?,.....i think cause we get that much of it throughout the year here,  the moles still found the damp spots, even in the long dry summer we had last .....(possibly even helped them somehow ! ,.....cause im still a little surprised, at the amount of activity),....never had as hot & dry a summer in these parts , for a long time.

Id say we get above average for rain here, but i dont know for certain. I know i do rodent control on farms and i was catching more moles than rats for two months this summer, as they were coming up onto the surface looking for food/water?? and getting caught in the snap traps, something i personally havent known before.

While i think on, has anyone noticed any unusual amounts of fleas on their moles this year? i pulled one fella out yesterday that was covered, literally covered, i probably did him a favour killing him, wish id taken a photo. Not sure if it was a one off or not but after that i was looking and did see what i think was higher than normal flea numbers. Ive been doing bedbugs and mice today so havent been moling but back at it tomorrow  so gonna take some photos if i find any.