Fox cubs an badgers

I think lads are confusing low fox numbers with not finding them to ground. There’s loads of fox out there but they’re not going to ground because we haven’t had a winter, I’ve never known a milder drier winter than this year. No chance of dropping on one. But I know the place is over run with them.

• Like 7

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not old brick causing a drop in the fox population it's rifle lads shooting them week In week out,foxes have one litter a year how can any animal stand such relentless persecution, there to stupi

every little rabbit hole  by me been dug out by brock,struggled to bolt many rabbits for my pup so far.....every place I've checked with the terriers been empty, found and hit a few foxes out of cover

I think lads are confusing low fox numbers with not finding them to ground. There’s loads of fox out there but they’re not going to ground because we haven’t had a winter, I’ve never known a milder dr

Posted Images

When poison was legal I remember we were getting 12 week old poults killed maybe 10 per day by grey crows in our release pen. We originally didn't know what was killing them strong birds but I was waiting for ducks one night on a nearby splash and about 500 greycrows in one gather arrived in , washed in the splash and then flew into a nearby pinewood. They must of met up in spring but massive flocks came in together. I got poison from local chemist at the time and I buried a 6 stakes with mortar boards on top with a pound of laced mince on each. I can honestly say I never seen a Grey crow for 2 years after but how many other species fell with them is the problem. I'd hope we didn't kill owls but who knows. Pheasants thrived after but I wouldn't do it again.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rob284 said:

I think lads are confusing low fox numbers with not finding them to ground. There’s loads of fox out there but they’re not going to ground because we haven’t had a winter, I’ve never known a milder drier winter than this year. No chance of dropping on one. But I know the place is over run with them.

Good post. Foxes aren't hungry. They will establish and feed on little if left. 

Read this historical piece a while back. Few anecdotes regarding badgers and foxes. Bottom line, opinion differs but the author believed they do kill cubs. Personally I’m not sure it’d be that significant. :hmm:

82CB7BA8-E20B-402B-AA19-1B6CF8A7EF7F.jpeg

3A9DBCC1-FF85-4C34-B9C0-8E1190DFCEE5.jpeg

Edited by Born Hunter

We've not met nearly as many this year as previous years in cover or aground.i put it down to the real bad snow in April.in my opinion it definitely wiped out litters of Cubs in our area.nearl every dig we got was due to running them in and been marked.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, sid g said:

rabbit and fox numbers are down  here mainly to the amount getting shot -- a lot of road kill badgers about with damaged heads :hmm: fook all left for dogs or ferrets within 15 / 20 mile of us ,,  watch the terrier game change in the next 5 year .

If it got hit by a car I would like to think it had a damaged head! Lol not that I am into inspecting road kill as a crime scene lol 

I was out doing moles for a Farmer last week, I saw one fox nothing unusual about seeing the odd one on the land but when I drove from there into leeds a saw 5 fox. I was cleaning windows on a property above a co-op and a dog fox walked past bold as brass. I think you need to keep trying the derelict  areas tank ??

On 16/01/2019 at 11:58, Pirate 9000 said:

It's not old brick causing a drop in the fox population it's rifle lads shooting them week In week out,foxes have one litter a year how can any animal stand such relentless persecution, there to stupid to understand their going to ruin their own sport not that I would call sport by shooting foxes that can't even tell you are there, thermal night vision.

Spot on mind the cull has a lot to answer for the shooters took a big pick up once the cull came in 

2 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

I was out doing moles for a Farmer last week, I saw one fox nothing unusual about seeing the odd one on the land but when I drove from there into leeds a saw 5 fox. I was cleaning windows on a property above a co-op and a dog fox walked past bold as brass. I think you need to keep trying the derelict  areas tank ??

Around my way number are just not there my mate was in big woods full of rock piles couple week back his bitch did not drop in at all this place normally holds a lot of fox an over the years we had a lot from this place , cover we no that holds are not , walking a lot of places were dogs not picking scents up an you no pip will hunt em up mate ?

• Like 1

The demise started the minute the stupid c,nt tony blair and the immigration loving labour party brought in the hunting with dogs ban back in 2004, 14 years of rifle persecution is going to be hard for any species of animal to take, they never thought of the damage they was about to inflict on Charlie,

Persecution will happen all year round that's because a lot of foxes are shot on stubbles and hard ground because theres a lot shooters very rarely leave the vehicle they are in don't want to get dirty I presume do Charlie a favour and stick to your x box games        

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

No doubt about it modern day technology has played a part you would think when things are made too easy people would get bored.

Same can be said with fishing round here with these remote boats any idiot can do it.

Perhaps these thermal scopes should only be sold to licensed pest controllers or ban them to civvies completely.

13 minutes ago, Chaff said:

No doubt about it modern day technology has played a part you would think when things are made too easy people would get bored.

Same can be said with fishing round here with these remote boats any idiot can do it.

Perhaps these thermal scopes should only be sold to licensed pest controllers or ban them to civvies completely.

I live in the city no shooting on the land I hunt always been plenty about earths run cover run but this year a lot dead or ripped out by old brook , this place was one good fox earth big place always got bolt now ripped out by old brook 20180801_133604.jpg.665514d1b5eee503f506bf29af168437.jpg20180801_133349.jpg.fcea3d4006a64f47daa6e1b7ba5eef4a.jpg

• Confused 1