Dog aggressive to me

So my 4 year old male lurcher has recently ripped a claw off out running the other week, so I gave him a some lamb ribs just now and thought while he having a crunch I will have a look at his paw and give it a spray, well he snapped at me lip turned snarling back hunched so I shouted give him a slap across the nose took bone away and done what I needed to do to his paw. He soon backed down now I got doubts with him around my kids he in the house at the moment but I think might be best outside in kennel 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I growled and curled me lip when me youngest went for me beans on toast luckily the missus were there and intervened or God knows what might have happened 

Any dog show aggression round me or young there’s only uno option 

How would you like someone dicking about with your manky foot when you're trying to get the nosebag on ?

1 minute ago, low plains drifter said:

How would you like someone dicking about with your manky foot when you're trying to get the nosebag on ?

We talking about a dog mate not person

Get where your coming from though I have always distracted him with grub in the past while treating bumps and scratches and never had a problem 

First time he has ever behaved that way since owning  tbo just shocked me

Doesn't sound like it's fear based aggression from the injury. Sounds like food based aggression. Something remedied by excessively controlling the dogs feeding. Give, remove, give, remove, cover over with your hand, tell the dog to leave part way through, just reinforcing your control in the dogs head and ending it's possessiveness.

I don't like the trait at all.

I don't like fear based aggression either but it's more understandable and acceptable (to a degree) imo. If a dog's in pain and panicking (when being given first aid) lashing out is understandable and expected. There's a point at which it's not though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The dog is in pain and is basically telling you that. He didnt make contact with you when he could have easily done. Also it’s the first time he’s done it, for me give him the benefit of the doubt but keep an eye on him. 

Edited by Allan P
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had a patterdale X staff I looked after for a few months do it to me once. Was gonna slap the little fucka. But me grandad who was a breeder and trainer told me better to pin the f**k down by his scuff till he submitted them let go but still stare him down and don't let him move. Then let him get up and carry on. Don't make a thing out of it. Just like pack leader would. The dog never did it again. I could take what I wanted off him even if he had a bone for half hour. As for kids. Id say you need to get them doing stuff so he knows his lower in pack than them and make sure no challenges will be accepted! Course I'm not saying that it will always work. Just my experience hope you get it sort atb Criss

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Allan P said:

The dog is in pain and is basically telling you that. He didnt make contact with you when he could have easily done. Also it’s the first time he’s done it, for me give him the benefit of the doubt but keep an eye on him. 

Think that's exactly it Allan will be keeping a close eye on him 

Thanks for the replys lads

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Benefit of the doubt yes, but if kids are involved I wouldn’t give it a chance. I’d keep a dog like that outdoors, especially if you had any doubts.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, rob284 said:

Benefit of the doubt yes, but if kids are involved I wouldn’t give it a chance. I’d keep a dog like that outdoors, especially if you had any doubts.

Well my kids 10 and 13 and have been told the situation they understand but might be better all round if I kennelled him for a couple of weeks.

Any ideas how long before it grows back ?

If he rips  a claw again mate sort out his paw, and then give him some ribs ?.. if it was me I'd see it as my mistake and carry on as normal but with food training like been said above... why kennel him for a couple of weeks it just f*ck the routine up for you both... All the best 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, rob284 said:

You are possibly right, Chaff was there and he knows what happened and knows his dogs and kids. If he wants to kennel his dog then its entirely up to him. I was really reacting to a post about there being only one option.

Edited by Allan P
  • Like 1