Minshaw dogs

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here you go madfox....this bitch has some "Minshaw " in her shes a great grand daughter of blue....that's me she caught 63 that night ...just me and her.....3 days later I was out with her again Darcy

heres 1 more for ya...not the best pic....im on the left with the same bitch.....the young fella on the right is holding Don...he has the same sire as mine...a "minshaw " called jack...the dam to don

The Minshaw name tag is just that a tag used by peddlers, not a type or breed. Every lurcher in my kennels for the last few generations has had the blood of Bess a half x bitch running threw thei

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Iv never had one-and never even heard of minshaw av i been lucky ? Lol

you must be a young chap or you was even more pissed than the rest of us through the 80's. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

you must be a young chap or you was even more pissed than the rest of us through the 80's. 

haha , made me laugh that, we all must have been pissed then with all the moaning/ fighting back then, about a lurcher, same as Hancock lurchers , which i didnt like but my mate had good 1/4 collie /4 grey of him and took , hares, fox rabbits no prob, so like any lurcher some are good some are crap,luck of the draw what pup you pick up .!!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, bird said:

haha , made me laugh that, we all must have been pissed then with all the moaning/ fighting back then, about a lurcher, same as Hancock lurchers , which i didnt like but my mate had good 1/4 collie /4 grey of him and took , hares, fox rabbits no prob, so like any lurcher some are good some are crap,luck of the draw what pup you pick up .!!

perfection doesn't exist my friend in dogs or in life ?

I’m genuinely not going to bite here. 

Jo ox knows the score . As do some others . 

Lets not pretend loads of people knew what a minshaw dog was before Andy came online. 

They were a lurcher type confined to mainly along the top end of England , Cumbria , lancs , Co Durham. 

As for some of your snide remarks in here “ never heard of them etc , any dog could do that” etc . 

Have a  look outside , at whatever you own . 

And ask your self honestly could that dog run 15 , 16, 17, 18 , 19 hares a night three times a week with a day at the foxes or deer in between . Without breaking down 

Think about that before flapping your gums. 

As I could name 20 plus minshaw dogs that did that for years , week in week out.  

Blue , nigger and Rambo were at open challenge to anyone with a lamp in the 80s . 

The silence was deafening then. 

The breed is gone now. 

But some lads gave those dogs some serious stick and to run them down is outrageous. 

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Lets not pretend loads of people knew what a minshaw dog was before Andy came online. 

They were a lurcher type confined to mainly along the top end of England , Cumbria , lancs , Co Durham. 

As for some of your snide remarks in here “ never heard of them etc , any dog could do that” etc . 

And ask your self honestly could that dog run 15 , 16, 17, 18 , 19 hares a night three times a week with a day at the foxes or deer in between . Without breaking down 

As I could name 20 plus minshaw dogs that did that for years , week in week out.  

Blue , nigger and Rambo were at open challenge to anyone with a lamp in the 80s . 

The breed is gone now. 

But some lads gave those dogs some serious stick and to run them down is outrageous. 

no doubt about it, they were some good dogs bred from them, and they filled the freezer no prob , and fair play to to lads that put game in front of them:thumbs:  but lets be honest here  regards lamping quarry, and more so if  where some places hold lot of quarry. you go to some places , like where i used to live , your dog do well getting dozen rabbits in the lamp, thee were like rockets up there arse , same with the hares , which there  weren't many  but to get one you did well, it was more like running in the day on them. then go to other places , and you could mop up 7 or 8 hares  easy, and knock over a roe or fallow in a night . and suppose if the dog not over taxed  in a night , ok had few good runs , but not fooked , well you could do it  maybe 3 times a week , but me self i be happy just couple nights a week , feck me how big your freezer  lol, my big dog when he was bit younger  put good long night in , feel me freezer , rest him 3 days then go again , he still quite fit , but 8 this august think there at there best about 5, top of there game then  as lamping dog

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

The breed is gone now. 

22 sentences defending minshaw dogs is a definite BITE ?

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, bird said:

no doubt about it, they were some good dogs bred from them, and they filled the freezer no prob , and fair play to to lads that put game in front of them:thumbs:  but lets be honest here  regards lamping quarry, and more so if  where some places hold lot of quarry. you go to some places , like where i used to live , your dog do well getting dozen rabbits in the lamp, thee were like rockets up there arse , same with the hares , which there  weren't many  but to get one you did well, it was more like running in the day on them. then go to other places , and you could mop up 7 or 8 hares  easy, and knock over a roe or fallow in a night . and suppose if the dog not over taxed  in a night , ok had few good runs , but not fooked , well you could do it  maybe 3 times a week , but me self i be happy just couple nights a week , feck me how big your freezer  lol, my big dog when he was bit younger  put good long night in , feel me freezer , rest him 3 days then go again , he still quite fit , but 8 this august think there at there best about 5, top of there game then  as lamping dog

Taking the big hauls was about lining the pockets whether they filled their own freezers or not, I remember the heavy hare population of the early 90's and went on to see the rapid decline from the mid 90's it's easy to exploit hares on the lamp, the hares on the local land have never recovered despite having ideal habitat, there's more roe deer than ever now

• Like 1
1 minute ago, C.green said:

I dont really understand like the money hunting with dogs deer ya can sort of understand but two dogging hares ? Whos gonna buy them lol

far point that above, dont know about hares , alot of butchers  will take fresh un marked rabbits , and alot like a ticket for there deer = gun , its got harder to sell game today from running dog, times are changing  now, 70s-80s was great time to work a running dog deff .

Here we are in 2020 scratching our heads thinking that minshaw bred dogs were owned by real dog men that kept an bred there own dogs because they know a good hunting dog everyone had a good dog in the 80s/90 due to the amount of gear about so the question is if they were that good owned by that good of a dog man were are they now surly there still be about not all this people chucking the minshaw name about like it’s a Standardised breed to sell there scatter breds In my eyes they were the same as anyone else’s mongrely cur breds of the time it’s just that minshaw had his little band of followers to bum stuff up because it helped with sales and in 2020 people are still bumming the name up as a sales pitch 

Only ever seen the 1 dog of this breeding in the flesh.... He was well finished when I saw him... I have no doubt believing how capable they were, the gentleman had plenty of stories and photos to back it up, and not in a big headed way as the person is very reserved and honest about his dogs ?

• Like 2

I honestly think Vic Minshaw is the best salesman the lurcher world has ever known.

He's far surpassed David Hancock, Len French, Jeff Burrell and even Brian Plummer. Hancock needed Plummer and a few books, Len French toured every show in summer for years to peddle his wares. Poor old Jeff has to talk peoples ears off to sell pups and even then we don't know what the feck a Tumbler really is! DBP had to first sell books to sell lurchers and then ran off to Scotland, handing the programme to his mate Dave.

Now crafty Vic has us still talking, questioning and wanting his dogs long after they ceased to exist and with his name all over them..! This bloke should of had a better vocation, he'd of been a millionare!!

No matter how they may have been bred, those early dogs had very much a stamp and an ability. An ability enough to get Minshaw placing ads and the challengers in early lurcher publications. And wether he was beat once is really irrelevent. It was boomtime then for profit hunters and they say he had most carrying their dogs back to their motors. But never forget, it was a different world back then....

I remember seeing those 'first wave' dogs in the field, direct from Vic and the offspring from them and all i'll say is that they have kept my interest ever since.

I also seen the next wave of dogs direct from Vic and they neither looked nor performed anywhere like the first lot, they were peddled to those who were late to the party and there were many. They made me realise to lift my head and sniff for whats not real in the lurcher world... And i still smell it now!

Thankfully, a few hung on to that old blood, used it as a base, along with the ideal of solid graft and improved breeding. Then are these still really Minshaws, as they are a long long way from Vic's dogs?

But we all love a bit of nostalgia, mystery and Romance... ?

18 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I honestly think Vic Minshaw is the best salesman the lurcher world has ever known.

He's far surpassed David Hancock, Len French, Jeff Burrell and even Brian Plummer. Hancock needed Plummer and a few books, Len French toured every show in summer for years to peddle his wares. Poor old Jeff has to talk peoples ears off to sell pups and even then we don't know what the feck a Tumbler really is! DBP had to first sell books to sell lurchers and then ran off to Scotland, handing the programme to his mate Dave.

Now crafty Vic has us still talking, questioning and wanting his dogs long after they ceased to exist and with his name all over them..! This bloke should of had a better vocation, he'd of been a millionare!!

No matter how they may have been bred, those early dogs had very much a stamp and an ability. An ability enough to get Minshaw placing ads and the challengers in early lurcher publications. And wether he was beat once is really irrelevent. It was boomtime then for profit hunters and they say he had most carrying their dogs back to their motors. But never forget, it was a different world back then....

I remember seeing those 'first wave' dogs in the field, direct from Vic and the offspring from them and all i'll say is that they have kept my interest ever since.

I also seen the next wave of dogs direct from Vic and they neither looked nor performed anywhere like the first lot, they were peddled to those who were late to the party and there were many. They made me realise to lift my head and sniff for whats not real in the lurcher world... And i still smell it now!

Thankfully, a few hung on to that old blood, used it as a base, along with the ideal of solid graft and improved breeding. Then are these still really Minshaws, as they are a long long way from Vic's dogs?

But we all love a bit of nostalgia, mystery and Romance... ?

Good Post B?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1