Making a rabbit squat on the lamp

2 minutes ago, RTurlough said:

It is 26 years of lamping that has me convinced there is the odd rabbit I can make sit longer than the rest and give him time to lie down.  Then we have a squatter.  Taken me ages to figure that out.

Well you have you answer then. You can make some rabbits squat, by whatever action that involves, others won't sqat no matter what you try to do. 

Good luck, lamping just leaves me cold, knackered and miserable, so I hardly bother anymore lol ?

56 minutes ago, RTurlough said:

Frig if lamping leaves you shattered try pulling a Sika stag over 3 miles of mountain.  Would near destroy a man.

You obviously still a young man then, enjoy your lamping ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Haha 1
Just now, RTurlough said:

Hunting is the fun of being cold and knackered, but miserable?  That's for being stuck at work and not getting to hunt.

You misunderstand what I'm saying my friend. Been semi retired for a number of years, so work doesn't come into it. 

Being cold and knackered certainly isn't fun when you're hunting, well, it isn't for me.

Don't worry about those rabbits that won't squat, just catch the feckers lol ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

first time he did it I thought he fcked up and not seen it lol.

there you go then,  he  knew the score then mate, i reckon    most running dogs if showed enough  will suss out squatters  , coursing dogs, salukis  , there bred for the day hunting, but they would soon adapt   to the lamp, deff

20 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Obviously ?? If a rabbit don’t get on it toes straight away then it’s a squatter??  Be quiet an don’t spook it an it should stay a squatter but spook it an it’s a runner ? what else could help? A few Hail Marys or walking up backwards ??

1. 77

17 hours ago, bird said:

there you go then,  he  knew the score then mate, i reckon    most running dogs if showed enough  will suss out squatters  , coursing dogs, salukis  , there bred for the day hunting, but they would soon adapt   to the lamp, deff

just started taking my currant  bitch on the lamp, and she is coming on well watching the beam, catching a few, and coming straight back when lamp off pretty much.

• Like 1

I think squatters  bring more problems than reward , of course it is nice to pick one or two out of a squat  but over a night you can make it hard on a dog , I have seen collie crosses walk up the beam on tip toe to a rabbit and just stare at the rabbit  because they know  they will lose a lot of ground when they go in quick ,I think the best rabbit  to run is one crossing the field in front of you on its way home with enough space for the dog to get up quick and knock it off its run , that is when it makes mistakes ……… just to add , I have never ran a dog in the Dales type of country or near stone outcrops and walls  my land was nearly always arable .

bun.jpg

• Like 2
On 10/01/2019 at 20:30, two crows said:

I had a pure saluki dog big 27 incher, he always went out of the beam on squatters and came in out of the dark, some nights when he was old he hardly ran at all, and salukis are thick so I am told.

Had half bred saluki greyhound that did the same on the lamp