Making a rabbit squat on the lamp

Any tips to share for knacks in shining the lamp that can sometimes push a rabbit onto squat?

I can sometimes nearly be sure when a rabbit is going to squat (get it wrong the odd time) but find if I am lamping a rabbit, the rabbit next to it about 20-30 feet away will usually be hesitant and go onto squat.  So I go through all the motions as though I am about to lamp the rabbit in the beam but at the last second switch to the squatter.  Works for me, especially as I am training a 6 1/2 month old lurcher so getting him up onto squatters is great for bringing him on.

I'll always lamp rabbits with the filter on until it gets running and none of my rabbits are lamp shy which makes for some great hunting.

• Haha 1

I have been lamping a good 26 years but just bringing on this pup,  he is great switching rabbits on the lamp and looks where i shine the light.  I totally agree with not spooking them by shining to the side that one I do use too.

1 hour ago, RTurlough said:

I will choose a squatter everytime for a pup.  Nothing worse than a lurcher not lifting squatters on the lamp.

i always walked up to any squatter , so the young dog knew that  spot light held a rabbit, its a tricky one at first because  , you  letting the dog run moving rabbits in beam, so they get full idea what lamping all about. then once you donr that, you asking the dog to do somthing different  lol , but generally once they trust you with lamp, they run down the beam and pick up a squatter , both my 1xs are brill at taking them, see some right arse over tit with my big dog take them , he still came up with rabbit in mouth though lol

• Like 2
7 hours ago, bird said:

i always walked up to any squatter , so the young dog knew that  spot light held a rabbit, its a tricky one at first because  , you  letting the dog run moving rabbits in beam, so they get full idea what lamping all about. then once you donr that, you asking the dog to do somthing different  lol , but generally once they trust you with lamp, they run down the beam and pick up a squatter , both my 1xs are brill at taking them, see some right arse over tit with my big dog take them , he still came up with rabbit in mouth though lol

Haha...I know what you mean about ass over tit on squatters mate, this big dog of mine hit one on Monday night like it a train, 3 rolls on a squatter ffs!! 

With a pup I won't slip until they are up and running, they soon get the jist of running down the beam once they are at it regulary..  but some dogs are better than others on squatters for sure.

The little dog I've got here has to work hard on big land to get up to rabbits, I'll flick the lamp on, spot a squatter, off with the lamp and send her in the dark..flick it on after a few seconds and she is up and on them by then...she's a clever runner which makes up for her size and lack of top end speed...the big dog is all guts and glory.....she runs everything full pelt lol..

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Haha...I know what you mean about ass over tit on squatters mate, this big dog of mine hit one on Monday night like it a train, 3 rolls on a squatter ffs!! 

With a pup I won't slip until they are up and running, they soon get the jist of running down the beam once they are at it regulary..  but some dogs are better than others on squatters for sure.

The little dog I've got here has to work hard on big land to get up to rabbits, I'll flick the lamp on, spot a squatter, off with the lamp and send her in the dark..flick it on after a few seconds and she is up and on them by then...she's a clever runner which makes up for her size and lack of top end speed...the big dog is all guts and glory.....she runs everything full pelt lol..

she sounds a handy  little bitch to have out at night mate, i like clever dog in the lamp. Old Bryn was clever dog, to bloody at times typical collie brain , he cut them off from the hedge , most times he get them , but somtimes not he run one way rabbit the feckin other,Buck differnt mind set , as said right at'um ,lol

17 hours ago, RTurlough said:

Any tips to share for knacks in shining the lamp that can sometimes push a rabbit onto squat?

I can sometimes nearly be sure when a rabbit is going to squat (get it wrong the odd time) but find if I am lamping a rabbit, the rabbit next to it about 20-30 feet away will usually be hesitant and go onto squat.  So I go through all the motions as though I am about to lamp the rabbit in the beam but at the last second switch to the squatter.  Works for me, especially as I am training a 6 1/2 month old lurcher so getting him up onto squatters is great for bringing him on.

I'll always lamp rabbits with the filter on until it gets running and none of my rabbits are lamp shy which makes for some great hunting.

God love you

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, bird said:

she sounds a handy  little bitch to have out at night mate, i like clever dog in the lamp. Old Bryn was clever dog, to bloody at times typical collie brain , he cut them off from the hedge , most times he get them , but somtimes not he run one way rabbit the feckin other,Buck differnt mind set , as said right at'um ,lol

She's getting on now Ray, but has been a nice little rabbiting dog, only 19" 3/4 whip 1/4 beddy...she's a trier  for sure but has to work bloody hard on some of the land we work...like you saying cutting off the hedge and she sticks like glue once she's on them, catches a lot out of the hedges as well...

Would have another like her but with a bit of grey in it to bring the size up a bit....

Edited by NEWKID
20 hours ago, RTurlough said:

pm stopend on here ....he knows all the tricks....can guide foxes to ground with a perfectly placed shot from a 12g????

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, RTurlough said:

Can't make a rabbit squat ,,,it has its own mind and choice run or stay still?

Your chances are greater if you put urself in-between it burrow ,but there's no guarantee as they will do want they want

Edited by MR RABBIT
  • Like 5