One to watch if you are bored...

I am positive that rabbits use certain warrens only when feeding. They use them so they can venture further away from the primary warren and have a safe sanctuary to go to if disturbed by a fox or whatever but then when they have finished feeding and want to rest up for the night the return to the main warren. For a ferreter this can lead to head scratching especially if you have seen rabbits at night, I would say in my experience this is most likely to happen when there is premium food available (winter wheat etc) but better warrens a few hedges/fields away that are safer and dryer. Rabbits also move around a lot further than people realise at night to feed full stop they don’t just sit outside their warren. 

• Like 3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am positive that rabbits use certain warrens only when feeding. They use them so they can venture further away from the primary warren and have a safe sanctuary to go to if disturbed by a fox or wha

end of the day when dog marks & ferrets in & nothing found. it's either the dog or the ferrets that's wrong personally I always go with the dog. I only turn in when the dog marks that's her jo

there does not seem to much there to me mate the rabbits soon chop that soft soil up the pictures show a similar  place that is much worse but there was not many there

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jax13 said:

I think that's a bit harsh to be fair. 

There is every chance that a rabbit has passed through that Warren not too long before (especially if it was the first one of the day) on its way back to wherever it is nesting / sleeping so there could be fresh scent there. 

I've had it this year where I've seen bunnies using a warren (whilst out foxing with the nv) yet turn up the following morning or a couple of days later and there is nothing home.

Im not sure if a lot of the warrens on some of my perms have been vacated after the prolonged hot weather as they are fairly shallow in hard clay ground on one farm in particular but there are a few small woodland areas on the land next door. If it's been a lot cooler under the shade of the trees I'm not sure if the bunnies have moved across there and are usikg their old warrens purely as cover whilst feeding. 

It makes no sense to see the numbers I've seen under nv but none of the warrens holding even a fraction of the number unless they are dwelling elsewhere. 7 different proven ferrets cannot all have turned crap overnight. 

A bit harsh???? If my lurchrer marks a Warren I’m not leaving there until I get a bolt, as for 7 proven ferrets, how proven are we talking?out every week in week out or just out once in a blue moon????? 

9 minutes ago, neil b said:

A bit harsh???? If my lurchrer marks a Warren I’m not leaving there until I get a bolt, as for 7 proven ferrets, how proven are we talking?out every week in week out or just out once in a blue moon????? 

Current batch all have between 2 and 5 full seasons of experience behind them, usually out one or twice a week - most weeks (I probably miss 3 or 4 due to work commitments between mid October and mid Feb but try to make it up because I can get out with the boy through the week when he is on school holidays on October half term, Xmas and Feb if I'm still going) 

2 hours ago, neil b said:

Let me guess, your dog never misses a rabbit either. ? 

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Do you leave places the dog has marked? Obviously dangerous places not included but will you walk away knowing a rabbit still in there Cos the dogs marking the place?

Yes all the time, if you don't know some of the reasons for doing so by now, no point me trying to educate you, I know you won't or can't listen. 

4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

No we are talking about a ferretable Warren that the dog has marked?? What reason would you have not to empty it unless your animals weren’t upto task?

could be late in the day not wort risking a lay up in the dark? 

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:19, Furrosious ferreter said:

Yes... went out sunday morning.

All good signs, fur, fresh dark droppings and scrapes and my dogs marked the holes... (9 hole warren)

Netted and ferrets in... nothing out after 25 mins.

It was like this on 2 warrens then we hit the big warren 40+ holes and had 6 rabbits.

FF

if a ferret was to ground 25 mins then you have missed a mark with the locator ...assuming your using one....and the ferret has killed or left the rabbit...

and what micky said a rabbit can make a shed load of dropings and scapes in a night

• Like 1

I have been places where there is every sign of a number of Rabbits at home but nothing shows , it is more puzzling when the setts  hold a few , I have found out over the years it is this, and only this 

mickspics275.jpg

SAM_0186_zps8cb2f12b.jpg

009.JPG

7 minutes ago, micky said:

DSCF3574.JPG

Another thing  that happens is sometimes there is a dead rabbit in the set and a dog will give a strong mark  then the Ferret enters and shows no interest in the old rotten rabbit 

P1010349_zps15cd4f34.jpg

P1010349_zps15cd4f34.jpg

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Other than then mate there’s no reason what so ever for leaving rabbits in the warren, unless you got the wrong kit with you, not enough kit, or under parr or not enough animals with you, but to try an mock folk that wanna empty a spot because you wanna take the easy road is quite frankly a load a balls?

I'll leave them if we get hole hoppers on a hedge, we had it last weekend, there is no way you would purse net these hedges, we cut off with run nets but hope for them to bolt out of the hedge..

I find if they have been above ground a couple of times and missed you're defo on for a dig...I'd rather pick and move then.... or as above end of day, risking it...

I wouldn't pick if dogs were marking and we hadn't a few missed bolts though...

Mind you I.hate digging and I'm.a lazy f****r.lol

23 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

The last sentence is your answer ??

f**k spending an hour in the middle of a hedge, cutting through roots and digging around rocks...if they've missed the nets more than once...pick up and start bolting again.... 

God I am a lazy twat lol...