Herder

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colliejohn asked me to put these up for him 

Funny thread this one, sensible question, interesting debate on working long nets etc......then it went mental...lol So is the dog a Jacker?? Is there honestly a dog that has never been stra

Here's a couple of pics of the bitch out of the herder and buster.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, colliejohn said:

Tomo  my dogs aren’t show collies lol kc registered lol isds registered yes, I don’t require a dog with loads of greyhound in them times have changed and are changing with the type of dogs people are keeping and working a lot of lads I know are going to mooching types especially lads who used to go coursing. Regards Collie John 

Well

i wish you good luck , I’d love a pup if I had my own place and wasn’t working full time , love to see pics when they are older ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TOMO said:

i agree with lots of stuff you say bill...but not the above

a pure collie wont surfice in the dales or anywhere else....not when it comes to actualy catching rabbits out in the open on a run.....yes they will catch ods and sods and  around or in bits of cover...mark holes and be good all round hunting companion......but a pure collie wont put numbers in the bag from running rabbits

I agree tomo and that's what I believe they only need from them marking dogs  but with out thinking I thought they would have the pace near ta the alsation xs lol .but on reflection they'd need a lot more hound da run em close atb bill

2 minutes ago, billhardy said:

I agree tomo and that's what I believe they only need from them marking dogs  but with out thinking I thought they would have the pace near ta the alsation xs lol .but on reflection they'd need a lot more hound da run em close atb bill

Each to their own. Regards Collie John 

5 hours ago, bird said:

thats what i was getting at Tomo  ,  you seen old Bryn run a bit in the day on few bolters  , and in his day Bryn was fast for 1x collie x grey , and dont catch them all, not all rabbits are slow, where  i lived before south staffs   your dog do well to catch bloody dozen in some places. i think what ever the type x lurcher , you need at least  3/8s running dog or 4/8s .

Yas right Ray lots a these jukels will struggle on the winter Conies in our county atb bill

6 hours ago, TOMO said:

i agree with lots of stuff you say bill...but not the above

a pure collie wont surfice in the dales or anywhere else....not when it comes to actualy catching rabbits out in the open on a run.....yes they will catch ods and sods and  around or in bits of cover...mark holes and be good all round hunting companion......but a pure collie wont put numbers in the bag from running rabbits

I agree tomo. Most places we go, from arable, scrub, to pasture, you won't be catching many rabbits at all, if you run some of these collie types. Even alot of half crosses have been found lacking in basic speed. Alot of rabbits, especially on arable where they've been run a couple of times on the lamp, f**k me, some of em are indeed like little rockets, and unless your dog is very fast, they aint catching, simple

• Like 1
Just now, billhardy said:

Yas right Ray lots a these jukels will struggle on the winter Conies in our county atb bill

Bill I don’t require a speed machine nor do I ever want one my dogs have plenty of brains stamina and self preservation. Regards Collie John 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

Bill I don’t require a speed machine nor do I ever want one my dogs have plenty of brains stamina and self preservation. Regards Collie John 

I get that John and believe my thinking was right a marking jukel his a much prized jukel in some places but brains I would think would be a plenty in that saturation of collie .just my thoughts John I once owned a little bitch jukel from plummers old collie lurchers many many moons ago a little feathered soft creame bitch she was fine if they got up under you but if they got more than thirty paces she had a tendency of pulling off  next Conies would be bagged this was the scenario ,thing was I believed they were purpose bred fa round holes any further and they were back on the warren .this little bitch was very good fa a warren jukel bug ta shining I gave up the job with her,thes a lot ta be said da the consistent trier on lamped Conies .but getting back ta the crime bitch I sent her ta Cannock to a aquaintance I was inferno.y getting more pissed off with her this jukel was a thirty paces tops jukel yas could pace her out she was ta the measure could put me wages on Henri believe the saturation of collie on collie achieved this trait in that little jukel don't get me wrong she was a brilliant little marking bitch and if catched round the holes she was fine ,.atb bill

• Confused 1

I've seen good 3/4 collies catching on the tops down the dales day and night little bitch caught 34 one day working sedge  grasses out and 22 was the highest on the lamp I saw her do she was often out run by bolting rabbits but as a dog for finding and catching her own stuff she was hard to beat

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, fatlad said:

I've seen good 3/4 collies catching on the tops down the dales day and night little bitch caught 34 one day working sedge  grasses out and 22 was the highest on the lamp I saw her do she was often out run by bolting rabbits but as a dog for finding and catching her own stuff she was hard to beat

Do you know who bred her. Regards Collie John 

Yes one was a Hancock bred about 93  don't remember what the parents were the other was bred by them from a half cross they had not Hancock bred and a collie they often took ferreting and digging was really game dog the lad who had them was from near leyburn

3 minutes ago, fatlad said:

Yes one was a Hancock bred about 93  don't remember what the parents were the other was bred by them from a half cross they had not Hancock bred and a collie they often took ferreting and digging was really game dog the lad who had them was from near leyburn

Thanks for the info mate. Regards Collie John