Herder

2 hours ago, fred90 said:

I am not saying it can't be done. would like to know if anyone has done it. 

Abraham Stanley took me out when I was a youngster and I see him place gate nets and send juck on ,and it pushed hare to run the right place,if you know the land you will get to know the runs ,I had some great times with abe and what he didn't know about filling the pot wasn't worth knowing.

• Like 2

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colliejohn asked me to put these up for him 

Funny thread this one, sensible question, interesting debate on working long nets etc......then it went mental...lol So is the dog a Jacker?? Is there honestly a dog that has never been stra

Here's a couple of pics of the bitch out of the herder and buster.  

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I watch the for sales pages meself mate? an the shepherds in work all know what I do an always telling me about such an such dog that would be ideal for me, one day tho, one day?I’ll get a pup in an start from scratch

I really like the look of :A sheapard,:but didn't know if any ones worked with them .i was thinking of getting a kelpie x border pup ,and as long as he turns out ok I got a dog put over my bedy x .maybe a reverse 3quater collie lurcher would b ideal .

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Ye know mate it’s not very often folk mention knowing ye land, it’s prob the biggest part of getting the most out of ye day/night and workers. 

Iv been to a few spots with pals and invites over the years an it soon becomes obvious when folk don’t know what the fcuk is going on In there own spots? equally it’s same as if you at somebody else or somebody at yours an ye can say, stand there an we should get a run, or stick a net over that run, or there should be a couple roe in field round corner? some folks look at ye as tho ye magic or full a shite an then they usually think wow how did that happen, but then there folk that know score, trust ye an know that you’ll nearly always be right Cos they know there own land?

but it deffo soon shows who actually gets out an who don’t or who walks about with there heads up there arses when out ??

I been out with some good lads and most of them are sadly gone now,most of them hunted to feed family ,if they blanked it meant kids was hungry ,but different times back then ,

I

7 hours ago, darbo said:

Never heard of anyone using a australian shepherd but know people who have used border collies for ferreting with nets and talked to some who have used kelpies and a working bearded collie. As with all herders temperament is the key. i had a border collie as a kid for 17 years not for rabbiting but he put a dent in the local pheasant population mooching about.

I been thinking a collie of some sort would do me for ferreting and net work ,a pal of mine is thinking about breeding a reverse 3q collie greyhound litter and he offerd me a pup if all gos well .like you say it's temperament.the most spiteful dog I ever see was a border collie .

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I been thinking a collie of some sort would do me for ferreting and net work ,a pal of mine is thinking about breeding a reverse 3q collie greyhound litter and he offerd me a pup if all gos well .like you say it's temperament.the most spiteful dog I ever see was a border collie .

i have watched a good few times 2 lab cross collies in the 80s marking/ferreting /hunting up etc catch pheasants very steady dogs.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, darbo said:

i have watched a good few times 2 lab cross collies in the 80s marking/ferreting /hunting up etc catch pheasants very steady dogs.

One of the best rabbit dogs I see work was a bedlington terrier x welsh hill collie .Day and night she was clever dog .proper pot filler .fella who had her said she was his ideal lurcher .

• Like 1

I tried To breed some first x herder greys a few year back but the bitch didn’t take. Brought a herder bitch in and had her for a little over a year bloody nice bitch and a pleasure to be round. She was a failed man worker didn’t make the grade for some reason or another. The out and out speed for catching most bolters wouldn’t be there but I don’t see any reason why one wouldn’t make a great marking dog as with all dogs there’s some bolters they would catch and some they wouldnt. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I tried To breed some first x herder greys a few year back but the bitch didn’t take. Brought a herder bitch in and had her for a little over a year bloody nice bitch and a pleasure to be round. She was a failed man worker didn’t make the grade for some reason or another. The out and out speed for catching most bolters wouldn’t be there but I don’t see any reason why one wouldn’t make a great marking dog as with all dogs there’s some bolters they would catch and some they wouldnt. 

I seen that little bitch on a walk about ,on reflection thought she had the making of a brood for good f1 types solid strong driven and good temp followed your old lurcher all day long . Did she not have a litter from the lurcher my memory serves me right ,I would have been inclined ta run one a them on.trigg Dutch herder want she trigg.atb bill

3 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Listen... if the greatest dog man on earth ( you know who you are ?) can’t train one for night time netting then us mere mortals havnt got a chance..?

2 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Sorry Katchum but your no where near the dog man you think you are ?

1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Anyway stop hogging the limelight you know it’s not you who I talk about ?

? hmmm, I wonder who it is you're alluding to Mr Wilkes? ?

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, billhardy said:

I seen that little bitch on a walk about ,on reflection thought she had the making of a brood for good f1 types solid strong driven and good temp followed your old lurcher all day long . Did she not have a litter from the lurcher my memory serves me right ,I would have been inclined ta run one a them on.trigg Dutch herder want she trigg.atb bill

Yes mate that’s the one. I have updates on the one bitch pup wish I had kept one out of the accidentally mating from my lurcher when I first got her.