Herder

Now my whippet x is retired to sit infront of the fire and pot around in the yard and walks along the river I'm considering getting a herder for ferreting and net work .

what folk think of Australian shepherd ,

be good to know if anyone works this breed .

atb

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colliejohn asked me to put these up for him 

Funny thread this one, sensible question, interesting debate on working long nets etc......then it went mental...lol So is the dog a Jacker?? Is there honestly a dog that has never been stra

Here's a couple of pics of the bitch out of the herder and buster.  

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Now my whippet x is retired to sit infront of the fire and pot around in the yard and walks along the river I'm considering getting a herder for ferreting and net work .

what folk think of Australian shepherd ,

be good to know if anyone works this breed .

atb

Get a flipping lurcher 

• Like 2

Never heard of anyone using a australian shepherd but know people who have used border collies for ferreting with nets and talked to some who have used kelpies and a working bearded collie. As with all herders temperament is the key. i had a border collie as a kid for 17 years not for rabbiting but he put a dent in the local pheasant population mooching about.

• Like 4

same as above never heard of anyone using a Australian. Have mooched about with a border bitch at work on and off for years, she's never seen a ferret or nets but I'm sure she would pick it up no prob. She marks and hunts up. I often look at the failed sheepdogs for sale but that's as far as I've got..

• Like 2