Hard Earned!

Been a while since I've written up a report so after a tricky day thought I'd share a few pics etc...

The plan was an 8am leave from mine to get to the farm 10 mins up the road, Sean c and Sam were meeting here and Finley said he'd get up and come along...Christmas has taken its toll on the kids so it was a case of dragging him out of bed..

Once we got to the farm I popped my head in the lambing barn where the lady farmer was in the middle of feeding, I offered mine and the kids services (again) to help with the lambing..but she said it was slow going....so after a few pleasantries we set off..

Normal procedure for us down here, big hedge, loads of holes and tons of Hawthorne, holly, bramble, blackthorn etc....deep joy...

We had my 2 runners, Sean had brought his border Reggie and lurcher Koda. Koda was flying a few years back until a serious leg break stopped her...after a few ops, and Sean's patience she is able to come out with the ferrets, she'll never run properly again but enjoys her days out and keeps herself busy...nice one mate..

20190106_090347.jpg.f12d13b9e3d903ec1089d5461f835cd6.jpg

Fin set to with the stop nets along the hedge, I jumped on top and set a few in the runs and Sean and Sam argued over who would run the long net out on their side...Sean doesn't bring the camera any more so he has to get his hands dirty lol..

Anything that ran the field our side would be for the runners, one bolted before we'd even finished setting, promptly missed by the dogs lol..

Anyhow with everything set in went a handful of ferrets and we waited...and waited...and that was that for half an hour or more...the ferrets were working along the hedge and finally rabbits started moving  ... but it was destined to be one of those days..hole hopping, missing the run nets, the border trying to work out where they would bolt..and none were breaking cover for the dogs...it was frustrating and hard graft...

A couple snuck out into the top hedge and then one tried to make it across the field...it wasn't going to out run Fergie and she picked it up nicely.. a couple hit the nets and the border picked one off the top of the hedge.... then one bolted from 80 yards down the hedge, I hadn't seen it but Fergie did...she was off and I tried to get to the brow of the hill to see the full run...the squeal over the brow told us she'd made her catch and I was equally pleased with a very long retrieve (this ain't her strong suit!!)...

20190106_111919.jpg.3b533cdf572f520ebe7c116b9d4eefda.jpg

we'd reached halfway and with only 6 in the bag decided to make a move to the top and slightly easier hedge to finish the day...

20190106_140842.jpg.f695febeef8bdda7ac7716fbb195188d.jpg

Same set up, just slightly smaller chunks...we were straight in with one hitting the run net on top of the hedge... Sam was scared of getting stung so left me to dive in and rip my jumper and trousers to shreds on the barb wire, cut up all for a poxy rabbit lol..

Then we had 3 bolt in quick succession, 1 escaped 2 were snared.... this was a bit quicker...

20190106_141012.jpg.3f6fa84a6e742fb752c1e71df6017329.jpg

We moved onto the next chunk and moved rabbits straight away...the ferrets were pushing them well and we had 3 more out of 5 bolts.... rather than tempting fate we called a day on a nice dozen....they were hard won and the dogs and ferrets worked well all day..another cracking day in good company.. 

Over the Christmas I'd been out a couple of mornings bolting to the dogs, just a ferret and a few run nets in my pocket, had a few rabbits but the dogs (particularly Fergie) showed the practice is paying off today, she isn't going to be an all out ferreting dog but I was pleased with her today...

20190106_103014.jpg.dc99b86d1847b5cc94d44b95bb243a8d.jpg

20190106_091332.jpg.5746b0ddf1aa2b6a2eb1bc0c22b8cc0d.jpg

20190106_142549.jpg.499fd7eacc31eeef4b32eb1dbd086340.jpg

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 15

On 09/01/2019 at 09:19, seanc said:

Mate please elaborate a little more on the jumper incident, and myself and sam would be greatful if you could show the jumper to the wife and video her reaction?

Well....Sam.spotted a rabbit hit the run.net on top.of the hedge, and cried for help as there were nasty brambles in his way....I sprang into action and leapt through the barb wire fence into the bramble and pulled the rabbit out with my teeth...

Unfortunately I completely wrecked a wool barber jumper in the process, ripped open.on the barb wire...this was a birthday gift from.my wonderful wife, who said "don't wear it ferreting and wreck it".....She was really really happy I brought home a rabbit for tea!! Lol 

Edited by NEWKID