Had to put my old 18 year Goat down last year. I have had the head stored, now I would like to clean and mount it. 

Problem is now, any flesh, meat etc is very dry and hard. Also the brain is still in there, the only thing I did was skin it.

My question is, what is the best way to go about cleaning it, bearing in mind the horns are more than 4' across, so putting it in a saucepan is out of the question. 

Any suggestions? 

DSC00516 373.jpg

Probably better options but I'd submerge it in a bucket of water up to the horn bases and leave it out of the way in a shed somewhere. The flesh will putrefy after a couple of months (1 month if it's warm out) and literally 'slip' off the bone. I'd then wash it well and peroxide it to death!

TBH after a couple of days in the water all the dried flesh will probably have re-hydrated and be in a state to boil and clean the conventional way.

• Like 2
On 07/01/2019 at 10:38, Born Hunter said:

I did this fella that way. But he was still fresh when dunked in. Can’t imagine it’ll make a difference.

996DCF2E-F4D7-4AD0-AA78-C2661E599ADA.jpeg

When I was at the uni before Christmas they had a leopard scull, that they had just printed out on a 3D scanner looked perfect without the mess?

• Like 2
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:23, mackem said:

Mr Green,a book you may be interested in.I think I saw your goats twin in darchula.

IMG_20181119_090818.jpg

Mine was an Angora X Feral goat so I was told. He weighed 80+ kg in his prime.  Dangerous fecker in his day.

Took him on as a rescue at 3 years old and he had very little human contact. I've got a loads of now funny stories about that goat.

• Like 2