Looking for good advice concerning all-round rifle

4 minutes ago, Max Caysey said:

I totally see your point but in Denmark, where I'm from there are restrictions or requirements in terms of weight of bullet and energy. Red deer, fallow and sika requires a minimum of 139gr and 2700j at 100m or minimum 155gr and 2000j at 100m. The same numbers are the Swedish requirements for moose. So that's why I'm concerned... if the riffle in question can perform to these numbers... or if they get too close, that might be what I want.

But true enough, I know its about placing the shot and not like a  video game where a certain gun does a certain amount of hit points damage...

Thank you all for your comments

just out of curiosity,what sort of terrain will you be hunting over?

for both deer(all types) and moose

are you hunting deer over bait? 

have you hunted deer before?

to be honest,you will zero your rifle in at 100m or 100yds,get five bullets in the inch square/bullseye,surely it wont be difficult 

to plug a deer/moose in the head or base of the neck at the same distance?

i am not by any means trying to run you down,some folk despise the head/neck shots.

saying this,you might not get the animal in such a position to take the head/neck shot,then its a boiler room side on or even front on.

there is soooooo many variables in hunting animals and hard to get across to someone how it goes down.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

22lr good all round rifle , takes awhile to get used to the  technique of clubbing a red stag as it runs past but can be done 

Alsone to pull out one example of a black bear getting up and blame it on the calibre is a little stupid, and if I am honest does make you sound a bit inexperienced. A misplaced shot can happen with a

If you're not going to be buying a rifle for a little while then I'd suggest meeting up with some experienced locals and picking their brains. It sounds like 308 or 30-06 are adequate for your ne

Posted Images

We have legal requirements also and whilst your concerns are meritable don't stress friend.

Many refused to believe my little 30/30 could kill reds until they saw it but just the other side of the Atlantic the number of large game taken with that little rimmed cartridge is unmeasurable!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

We have legal requirements also and whilst your concerns are meritable don't stress friend.

Many refused to believe my little 30/30 could kill reds until they saw it but just the other side of the Atlantic the number of large game taken with that little rimmed cartridge is unmeasurable!

were i am saskatchewan,canada.the government has just allowed the use of 223 for hunting moose,deer and elk.

not a fckn chance in hell would i even dream of it

hunt big game with: > any cartridge with an empty cartridge case length of less than 32 mm (this includes most handgun cartridges and all rimfire cartridges). > any centre fire rifle cartridge of .17 calibre. > or any of the following cartridges: .22 Hornet, .22 KHornet, .218 Bee, .25-20 Winchester, .30 Carbine, .32-20 Winchester, .357 Magnum, .41 Remington Magnum, .44-40

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Max Caysey said:

I totally see your point but in Denmark, where I'm from there are restrictions or requirements in terms of weight of bullet and energy. Red deer, fallow and sika requires a minimum of 139gr and 2700j at 100m or minimum 155gr and 2000j at 100m. The same numbers are the Swedish requirements for moose. So that's why I'm concerned... if the riffle in question can perform to these numbers... or if they get too close, that might be what I want.

But true enough, I know its about placing the shot and not like a  video game where a certain gun does a certain amount of hit points damage...

Thank you all for your comments

also asking,will you be using a sound mod on the rifle?

will that make a difference to the barrel length and down range joules?

Just going to throw a curved ball in here as I often like to do and that is .300 Winchester Magnum.

It's probably overkill for the smaller species of deer, but it's certainly capable of taking large deer, moose, elk etc and dangerous game such as wild boar.

Whether it's permitted under your laws, I'm not sure as in the UK at least, it's regarded as more of a dangerous game cartridge than a deer cartridge so getting it granted on a UK cert might prove difficult. However, the laws could be different where you live.

300 Win Mag is a proven long range cartridge and packs approx 200ft lbs more energy than a .308 or .30-06.

Equally, whether it would cause too much damage to smaller deer, or whether there are smaller deer suitable rounds available, I don't know. I just know, it will stop most things. There will be a penalty on recoil compared to 308, but if you're deer hunting you're not going to be shooting many rounds off in a day in any event.

Edited by Alsone
4 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

just out of curiosity,what sort of terrain will you be hunting over?

for both deer(all types) and moose

are you hunting deer over bait? 

have you hunted deer before?

to be honest,you will zero your rifle in at 100m or 100yds,get five bullets in the inch square/bullseye,surely it wont be difficult 

to plug a deer/moose in the head or base of the neck at the same distance?

i am not by any means trying to run you down,some folk despise the head/neck shots.

saying this,you might not get the animal in such a position to take the head/neck shot,then its a boiler room side on or even front on.

there is soooooo many variables in hunting animals and hard to get across to someone how it goes down.

I will be hunting primarily in forests, fields and meadows (for all types)

I wont be hunting over bait

I have never hunted with a riffle before, so I'm looking to gain my permit this year, and hopefully be able to buy a rifle in 2019.

I don't like the idea of head/neck kills, but who am I to judge... yet ;)

3 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

also asking,will you be using a sound mod on the rifle?

will that make a difference to the barrel length and down range joules?

Since it a full stocked rifle, I will not be putting any silencers or anything like that. I will probably be using some active hearing protection (peltor)

image.png.0f3e30b30fc54d2857b59aa9c1f2f150.png

On another note... It has come to my attention that a 30.06 in this shorter 20" barre might give off quite some muzzle flash... Is this true and if so how severe is this flash and bang?

Thank you all again for all the help!

Cheers

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Max Caysey said:

I will be hunting primarily in forests, fields and meadows (for all types)

I wont be hunting over bait

I have never hunted with a riffle before, so I'm looking to gain my permit this year, and hopefully be able to buy a rifle in 2019.

I don't like the idea of head/neck kills, but who am I to judge... yet ;)

Since it a full stocked rifle, I will not be putting any silencers or anything like that. I will probably be using some active hearing protection (peltor)

image.png.0f3e30b30fc54d2857b59aa9c1f2f150.png

On another note... It has come to my attention that a 30.06 in this shorter 20" barre might give off quite some muzzle flash... Is this true and if so how severe is this flash and bang?

Thank you all again for all the help!

Cheers

ok

thanks for the reply

when i used the 180gr norma 308s i had muzzle flash but i didnt find it an issue,rather entertaining i thought lol

since you will be hunting forest areas and fields etc i will put money on it you wont be taking long shots.

i do think you could be over thinking it a bit since you havent hunted with a rifle for game,but you soon

will gain experience and enjoy the hunting out that way.

spend time at the range and try different bullets light/heavy and see the bullet drop.

keep practicing and get used to the rifle and how it handles.

you might want to set up some water melons and different distances and walk up on them and get used to

not shooting prone,cause if you hunting forestry,you will be taking quick shots

my mate has used his 338lapua on deer,moose and wild boar.

now that makes a bang and a right fckn mess.

last years deer had a fist size entry wound and a size 12 boot exit,he shot that at 450yds,damn thing got up and ran,but not far

he shot a wild boar at the same range and we didnt find that,he bowled that straight over.

the moose this year he shot at 800yds,gut shot that (which isnt good) he found the round stuck to a rib,bullet didnt exit

2 hours ago, Alsone said:

Here's a vid of .300 win mag vs a boar.

Bit American, but shows the point:

i shot a 300lb boar with my 308 using 180gr norma ballistic tipped and 250yards.

dropped it like a stone and blew a huge hole in its shoulder.

i will try and dig out the pic.

i shot another wild boar and she was over 250lb at 100yds with the 7.62xx39.dropped like a stone

• Like 1

This is my experience too.

More is not always better! 

The primary gain with larger rounds and a velocity gain is a slight flattening of trajectory and that's it.

The primary gain in shooting a heavier bullet is slightly more penetration.

The op has ample of everything for his tasks in his choice of 308.

• Like 1

Not in any way saying you can't shoot and kill boar with .308. Just suggested 300 win mag as it has a little bit more. If the OP's going to be at close range in the woods with boar, then the choice of calibres becomes easier and .308 is certainly a good, if not THE good all round deer capable round, so it might be a better all round choice for boar as well. Equally he's correct not to right off .30-06. Both capable and the choice is personal. .300 win mag is more suited for longer range and recoils heavier.

As for .338 Lapua vs deer, you could shoot dinosaurs with .338 Lapua! It's just a wonder there was anything edible left in the main body after it dumped it's energy. 

BTW, don't want to take anything away from your choice of weapon, if the full stock is your thing, then go for it. But there's a lot to be said for having a gun that can be fitted with a moderator. Virtually no-one in the UK shoots these days without a mod fitted not only because of the increased protection of the shooter from hearing damage, but also because a lower sound pressure scares nearby prey less and in the UK at least, people are also very sensitive to noise pollution and in a country that's very anti-gun, the sound of shooting doesn't generally go down well. Can't comment on other EU countries, but if your're intending to travel, it might be worth at least having the option of fitting a moderator by owning a gun with a threaded barrel, (moderator dependent on local laws).

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

If you're not going to be buying a rifle for a little while then I'd suggest meeting up with some experienced locals and picking their brains.

It sounds like 308 or 30-06 are adequate for your needs at the very least so I don't think you need to worry too much. Certainly for your deer needs. There's a few other factors to consider like range, which again is better commented on by experienced locals. Unless you're shooting at and beyond 300 yards there's little point in magnum cartridges. If you're shooting always under say 150 then there's possibly merit to something big and slow, in the 8mm and over calibres.

I mean, we've talked about quarry but very little about the situation. For instance I know in Scandinavia quite a few moose (elk) are shot very close bayed up with spitz/hound dogs. In Alaska moose can be shot across mountains! Same quarry but massively different requirements from a cartridge/bullet.

Likewise, you mentioned bear. I've never even seen a bloody bear, much less shot one, but I am aware there's a difference between a bear hunting calibre and a bear stopping calibre!

Seriously, speak to some experienced locals. Hunting festivals, training courses etc etc. I'm going jagd und hund in a few weeks, I'll bare this in mind if I get chatting to anyone.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3