Bowed legs on pup

Heard of lads with this problem from feeding to much pure lean chicken  with out anything else in diet. Like, bone, veg or biscuit etc. As said too much protein and lack of calcium. 

Edited by jiggy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To much protein in the diet can give a pup bowed legs.  Don't no if its same thing as yours

I had it with a pup years ago ... pup was fed a healthy balanced raw flesh bone fruits and veg diet the same as I had fed plenty of other pups but for some reason developed hollow spots in the front l

Proper raw diet, muscle meat, tripe,  offal, and some bones, not the stupidly big leg bones of cows etc, along with some veg etc, job done. It really is pretty simple. Alot of people don't listen to,

11 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Heard of lads with this problem from feeding to much pure lean chicken  with out anything else in diet. Like, bone, veg or biscuit etc. As said too much protein and lack of calcium. 

Has anyone had this problem feeding raw? By that I mean a proper balanced raw diet as above,

17 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I feed mine full chicken carcasses minced so plenty calcium but have had the bowed leg thing before CUT the protein in few weeks it be sorted ??

21 minutes ago, robertb123 said:

Has anyone had this problem feeding raw? By that I mean a proper balanced raw diet as above,

15 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I feed mine full chicken carcasses minced so plenty calcium but have had the bowed leg thing before CUT the protein in few weeks it be sorted ??

Proper raw diet, muscle meat, tripe,  offal, and some bones, not the stupidly big leg bones of cows etc, along with some veg etc, job done. It really is pretty simple. Alot of people don't listen to, or don't read up on dog's basic nutrition, and worry  far too much about feeding their dogs. It aint hard lads ?

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, robertb123 said:

That's what I'd like to know but not many would admit to not feeding a proper balanced diet.Id imagine it would greatly reduce the problem. It seems to be far more common with chicken than beef too.They both have similar protein levels( chicken only slightly higher ) but beef is slower digest with more fat. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, robertb123 said:

I had it with a pup years ago ... pup was fed a healthy balanced raw flesh bone fruits and veg diet the same as I had fed plenty of other pups but for some reason developed hollow spots in the front legs and had just started bowing when I lowered the protein added calcium and caged the pup 2 weeks later was right as rain and I slowly introduced the protein back in and she grew to be a stunning strong animal ........

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, socks said:

I had it with a pup years ago ... pup was fed a healthy balanced raw flesh bone fruits and veg diet the same as I had fed plenty of other pups but for some reason developed hollow spots in the front legs and had just started bowing when I lowered the protein added calcium and caged the pup 2 weeks later was right as rain and I slowly introduced the protein back in and she grew to be a stunning strong animal ........

Shows the importance of keeping an eye on the pups and doing whats right for them. Was it a calcium supplement you fed?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Liamboy said:

To much protein in the diet can give a pup bowed legs. 

Don't no if its same thing as yours

Raw green tripe his the best fix nothing but green tripe same thing low protein but natural barfcalcium phosurus levels one ta one. All these fecking additives not needed it's crazy i have seen this knuckling a few times and the tripe cures it in weeks not mths.atb bill

• Like 2
13 hours ago, lampingmad1 said:

I’ve got a 5 month old saluki x pup I notice her front legs bowed at the wrist about 6 week ago few dog men told me it’s lack of calcium from the dam so i give her vitamin c never really made a difference so I started about 2 week ago giving her bone builder still no difference and don’t no if I should kennel her on her own as she’s in kennel with her brother and cut her walking down any advice would be appreciated ?

Apart from the vitamin c and bone builder, what were you feeding on a daily basis? What was the pups general diet before you noticed this? 

Edited by white van man
10 hours ago, shaaark said:

Proper raw diet, muscle meat, tripe,  offal, and some bones, not the stupidly big leg bones of cows etc, along with some veg etc, job done. It really is pretty simple. Alot of people don't listen to, or don't read up on dog's basic nutrition, and worry  far too much about feeding their dogs. It aint hard lads ?

Like I said cut the protein ??

Sometimes happens when its been reared on crap then new owner pumps it full of good snap and its to much for pup to handle. Also slippy (tiled or laminate) floors dont help. Drop protien, you want something like an adult biscuit for large breeds and carpet kennel floor if possible for a bit so it can use its claws to strengthen bones, ligaments and muscle etc. Hopefully come right for you. Good luck. Atb

Edited by Who
  • Like 1