Bowed legs on pup

Just now, socks said:

Could be a combination of to much protein causing hollow spots and not enough calcium causing soft bones ... easy fix lower the protein intake and add calcium to the diet ... limit the pups movement until it gets fixed ......

I’ll give the lower protein a go and I’ll go and separate her from her brother so they stop play fighting and cut her movement out thanks??

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To much protein in the diet can give a pup bowed legs.  Don't no if its same thing as yours

I had it with a pup years ago ... pup was fed a healthy balanced raw flesh bone fruits and veg diet the same as I had fed plenty of other pups but for some reason developed hollow spots in the front l

Proper raw diet, muscle meat, tripe,  offal, and some bones, not the stupidly big leg bones of cows etc, along with some veg etc, job done. It really is pretty simple. Alot of people don't listen to,

1 minute ago, lampingmad1 said:

I’ll give the lower protein a go and I’ll go and separate her from her brother so they stop play fighting and cut her movement out thanks??

You will need to add calcium also ......

2 minutes ago, two crows said:

I kept a bitch pup back that had front legs bowing slightly forwards and slightly splayed feet, it was not noticeable at first, but that bitch was fast aggressive a very good hare killer and lamper never injured and a good long career.

Not disputing that tc, but he needs advice on the problems he's encountering, not something that one of your dogs was able to do overcome ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, two crows said:

I kept a bitch pup back that had front legs bowing slightly forwards and slightly splayed feet, it was not noticeable at first, but that bitch was fast aggressive a very good hare killer and lamper never injured and a good long career.

That’s how I like them aggressive her sire was a very fast up and at them aggressive type 

18 minutes ago, lampingmad1 said:

I don’t own the dam do you the bitch pup

I don't no what you mean why would I own the dam.

My last pup had same problem with bowing in front legs gave her calcium tablets for 2 weeks and sorted it.[NO TEXT TALK] I no had same problem with bowing in front legs gave calacium tablets and all had a good outcome and pups came good.

As said to much protein or lack of calcium causes it in most cases it's lack of calcium I was told by a vet.

8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Not disputing that tc, but he needs advice on the problems he's encountering, not something that one of your dogs was able to do overcome ?

he already has the remedy mate just giving a little hope is all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mighty celt said:

I don't no what you mean why would I own the dam.

My last pup had same problem with bowing in front legs gave her calcium tablets for 2 weeks and sorted it.[NO TEXT TALK] I no had same problem with bowing in front legs gave calacium tablets and all had a good outcome and pups came good.

As said to much protein or lack of calcium causes it in most cases it's lack of calcium I was told by a vet.

When you said you should be giveing the bitch calacium I didn’t no if you ment the bitch or the pup and I give her vit c every day for over 2 week never made a difference 

2 hours ago, lampingmad1 said:

I’ve got a 5 month old saluki x pup I notice her front legs bowed at the wrist about 6 week ago few dog men told me it’s lack of calcium from the dam so i give her vitamin c never really made a difference so I started about 2 week ago giving her bone builder still no difference and don’t no if I should kennel her on her own as she’s in kennel with her brother and cut her walking down any advice would be appreciated ?

Drop her protein intake ?? That’s all it is to much of it...??

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, two crows said:

just being nosey, was that one sired by F ?

seen a few with slightly turned out front feet, from different lines

1 minute ago, mighty celt said:

Oh right,i ment the pup,vitamin c and calacium tablets are completely different.

I thort vit c was calacium that’s where I have been going wrong then am giving her bone builder atm but I will cut her protein right down and get some calcium tablets