Quietest most Effective cartridge for Mossberg Hushpower .410

The quietest will be eley fourlongs, but due to their low velocity, don’t have much range. Cheddite do a 24gram subsonic.410 if you can source them. They’re quiet and quite effective. If you want performance out of a .410 hushpower, you’re going to need three inch magnums really though. They won’t be as quiet, but they will hit harder.

• Like 1

I use lylvale supreme game in no 5 shot . 3” 

The difrence in noise between 5 shot and 6 shot is unbelievable . Used some them subsonic but I find the lylvale no 5 a lot quieter 

when my mate told me about the noise difference between 5 shot and 6 shot I laughed at him ...untill I tried it and now I won’t shoot anything else 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Just what Rimfireboy! states ... If you want performance you'll need to use 3" carts. If noise is more important try the 2.5" Hunting carts from Gambore. I have found them to be reasonably quiet, but the downside is they only carry 14g of No.6 shot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2019 at 15:57, Rimfireboy! said:

The quietest will be eley fourlongs, but due to their low velocity, don’t have much range. Cheddite do a 24gram subsonic.410 if you can source them. They’re quiet and quite effective. If you want performance out of a .410 hushpower, you’re going to need three inch magnums really though. They won’t be as quiet, but they will hit harder.

I don’t know where you are, but malmo guns, have a large stock of Chedite shells, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All ways fancied a 410 hush as I have the 20 and its nice and quiet with the proper carts. I have a normal 410 and can't hit a barn door with it. I have missed squirrels sat 10 yards away. Be better off throwing it at them. I need to blast some cardboard and see what it is doing. In the mean time I prefer the airgun lol

A few years ago Terry I was shooting at my club when the owner passed over a .410 o/u along with a couple of boxes of Fiocci 3" cartridges. A few shots saw the clays break Very well so I texted it on the skeet range which are fast crossing birds if you are not a clay shot. Not easy at first but soon got used to the difference and I was away, seriously enjoyed it but have to be careful not to over lead the target.

My pal has just bought a new 20 bore o/u which has me wanting a .410 o/u as there are some really good value for money being brought into the UK market from both Turkey and Italy, another gun on the list not forgetting the hushpower version as well.

Phil

10 hours ago, earthdog dai said:

How much reach are we talking? 

For a confident clean kill, on squirrels, rats and magpies, for me, maximum 15yards. But they are really quiet, no need for ear protection quiet. I even shoot it out of the bathroom window, I live in a Bungalow, and it's quiet. If it wasn't my Mrs would go ape 5hit.

• Haha 1
On 17/02/2019 at 13:48, terryd said:

All ways fancied a 410 hush as I have the 20 and its nice and quiet with the proper carts. I have a normal 410 and can't hit a barn door with it. I have missed squirrels sat 10 yards away. Be better off throwing it at them. I need to blast some cardboard and see what it is doing. In the mean time I prefer the airgun lol

Most 410s have tight chokes;which is fine if you can shoot straight . But lot of the cheaper 410s have tight chokes that don't always shoot where they point. An old Spanish folder I had shot 6 inches low so I cut the choke off thinking that at least the extra spread would compensate to a degree. The effect was magical ;I was getting decent patterns and the thing shot where it was aimed. for normal  bolted rabbit ranges it was perfect and I cold take low pheasants without guilt if I was a walking gun on the Shoot. I always used 2 1/2 cartridges which in my experience give more even patterns than 3inchers through  narrow 410 barrels that were only originally designed for 2 inch cartridges anyway.

10 hours ago, comanche said:

Most 410s have tight chokes;which is fine if you can shoot straight . But lot of the cheaper 410s have tight chokes that don't always shoot where they point. An old Spanish folder I had shot 6 inches low so I cut the choke off thinking that at least the extra spread would compensate to a degree. The effect was magical ;I was getting decent patterns and the thing shot where it was aimed. for normal  bolted rabbit ranges it was perfect and I cold take low pheasants without guilt if I was a walking gun on the Shoot. I always used 2 1/2 cartridges which in my experience give more even patterns than 3inchers through  narrow 410 barrels that were only originally designed for 2 inch cartridges anyway.

I couldn’t agree more with this. Exactly my findings also?