Strange wildlife you've witnessed

What's the strangest thing you have seen whilst out and about mooching, mine is gnats swarming, witnessed this a few years ago, Never seen anything like it before. the columns that drop from the main swarm make a very loud clicking noise.

090.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched a female cuckoo lay her egg last summer in a meadow pipits nest. It took her around 4 hours to find and then lay her egg. I stood watching in the blazing sun all that time, binoculars fixed

I went fishing for Huss one night, picked a nice little platform between Brixham and Dartmouth. It was getting twilight, casted both rods out and settled down lit a fag (smoked then) poured a cup of t

Venus my old dog once caught two rabbits at the same time ferreting....she caught one and as she was retrieving it another bolted....she then ran that keeping the other in her mouth....and caught the

Posted Images

Me and a mate were waiting at a hole for a terrier when a fox walked up a wood toward us but then went straight up a tree,the tree had been uprooted but was tangled with another tree about twenty five thirty feet up,on closer inspection it looked the fox had been using it often as there was a flattened down area in the branches,conifer.The fox wasn't being hunted and it didn't know we were there just walked up the fallen tree.

Maybe not strange but a bit unusual at least, I remember a plague of greenfly one year, followed by a plague of ladybirds.

Saw a huge flock of swallows and martins, maybe 10,000+, a few years ago too. That was pretty impressive.

Like Jonesy I’ve seen a fox use a ‘half fallen’ tree to get on top of a derelict barn to lie up.

Seen badgers and muntie in London which I thought was quite unusual,seen big monitors and pythons in cities,lots of wildlife in urban jungles.Seen a huge shoal,hundreds of them,of tuna in the med all breaching the surface around our boat,seen all sorts of animals in number,got chased up a tree by a rhino a few weeks before Christmas,that was quite unusual.

IMG_20181213_161633.jpg.9b7f6f07f2c53043b30bf2bd2c44cef1.jpgIMG_20181213_164424.jpg.86aa6ff00b74e2c718d860f1c30f6a23.jpg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Me and a mate were waiting at a hole for a terrier when a fox walked up a wood toward us but then went straight up a tree,the tree had been uprooted but was tangled with another tree about twenty five thirty feet up,on closer inspection it looked the fox had been using it often as there was a flattened down area in the branches,conifer.The fox wasn't being hunted and it didn't know we were there just walked up the fallen tree.

i have actually shot a fox up a tree,damn thing had used a fallen tree to climb up and 'nest' in the ivy.

as i walked through i heard the rusttling,looked up,seen the fox,boom

Seen a few mad things but once got charged at by a roe doe it done it more than a couple times would get to a couple foot away and stop one of the best things ive ever seen to be fair brave animal.ive seen a doe storm in when her fawns been grabbed but this one just didnt seem to want me there.

A087B260-E3AE-4783-85E3-92B716ECF687.jpeg.3c636ee2574cd5a2b4b14be7dd4b3054.jpeg

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

I haven't really seen anything that interesting - the funniest was a seal popping up next to my sister when she was swimming in Cornwall in the early 90s

It was in a harbour at st Ives and, so close that she could have touched it - they looked right at each other.

.......... She absolutely shit it - I've never seen anyone swim so fast :laugh:

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Maybe not strange but a bit unusual at least, I remember a plague of greenfly one year, followed by a plague of ladybirds. That were 1976!

Saw a huge flock of swallows and martins, maybe 10,000+, a few years ago too. That was pretty impressive.

Like Jonesy I’ve seen a fox use a ‘half fallen’ tree to get on top of a derelict barn to lie up.

Once came across a deer in the woods on my permission, small Roe doe, was not overly scared, but there again a .177 SuperTen is not going to drop that one unless I knacker the stock clubbing it over the head.

Used to be a porpoise in the Wash who would chase fishing dinghys and bump the keels until he got a few mackerel. 

Seen a stoat kit take on a rabbit that was about 4 times it's size, was like WWE!

Also a demented woodpecker trying to hammer through the metal sides on a barn....