Hello , having recently taken ownership of a new dog after a break of about 8 years i am interested to find out about other peoples observations of temperament of their lurchers

The dam of mine was a straight bull x grey and the sire was collie x whippet / grey ..... I think he will make a good dog , he is about 10 months and have started to give him a bit of a run out to get him used to the lamp and working on recall etc 

My main question is will he calm down , as soon as he is out of the kennel he is full on and literally runs everywhere ( i live on a farm so space no problem ) and never seems to just chill out . His prey drive seems fantastic and he has taken readily to stock breaking not looking at my sheep , horses or poultry . 

Is it a specific bull x trait to be a bit hyper and i am just not used to it coming from my last couple of dogs which were deer x grey and deer / grey x collie 

Many thanks

11 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Ive actually found most bull bred dogs ive owned to be quire calm and sensible.How often is he out of the kennel and for how long?

He is out , for a couple of hours in the morning while I feed up and check stock and a similar time in the evening. Started taking him on the lamp once a week and playing about ferreting weekends.

Got a bull x as replacement for mine after he had to be pts. 

I find him full in when hunting but very calm when not. He has defiantly opened my eyes to this cross. 

They are very clever dogs, have very high prey drive and will mess about all day long when not hunting. 

My only gripe is he could do with been abit faster. 

• Like 1

I ll second what down south said. All my bull x s have been very laid back. Especially the half crosses they never made a peep in the kennel and If we were out with terriers they would never be all over the earth. Just go and sit at the top of the earth and wait. He might just be glad to be out. If you have access to a quad give him a decent run daily round the farm. Nothing drastic if he s a young dog but give him a good run and let him come and have a nose about when ur working . The dog I have now I got at 9 months old and he was the same. His head would touch the kennel roof ,jumping on the spot when u went to his kennel. He did nt take long to settle with the exercise and work . He just lies in his bed now and u never hear him. Good luck with him 

Tbh pal I wouldn't call it him a bull x more lurcher to lurcher breeding as you've stated there's a few different breeds in there so god knows, 10 months old it's still a big puppy should mature with age same as any other dog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jake824 said:

I ll second what down south said. All my bull x s have been very laid back. Especially the half crosses they never made a peep in the kennel and If we were out with terriers they would never be all over the earth. Just go and sit at the top of the earth and wait. He might just be glad to be out. If you have access to a quad give him a decent run daily round the farm. Nothing drastic if he s a young dog but give him a good run and let him come and have a nose about when ur working . The dog I have now I got at 9 months old and he was the same. His head would touch the kennel roof ,jumping on the spot when u went to his kennel. He did nt take long to settle with the exercise and work . He just lies in his bed now and u never hear him. Good luck with him 

I hope he calms down a bit , really pleased with him he just a bit manic . He does get a good run out both ends of the day with my other dogs . Thanks 

1 hour ago, FKOF said:

Tbh pal I wouldn't call it him a bull x more lurcher to lurcher breeding as you've stated there's a few different breeds in there so god knows, 10 months old it's still a big puppy should mature with age same as any other dog

Perhaps he will turn his liveliness into good pace later