Well got a dehydrator for Christmas off my lad really for drying the mushrooms I get. But you can do Jerky in it, so of I went 2 batches so far, got a bit carried away with the "Hot Smoked Paprika" on the second batch turned out a bit hot. You lads that like the Chilli would like it okay though. The first batch was just like the shop bought Biltong why I decided to try and improve on it. I suppose you aways do.P1200645.jpg.5555ac1e6a55bbae9c1122b8f858f745.jpg

P1200642.jpg.cbed2b0f9f390672536b8089de50bf05.jpg

P1200650.jpg.be6c1c7edc8814dbbfdd7720f4d7fd1b.jpg

Cheers Arry

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:30, Arry said:

Well got a dehydrator for Christmas off my lad really for drying the mushrooms I get. But you can do Jerky in it, so of I went 2 batches so far, got a bit carried away with the "Hot Smoked Paprika" on the second batch turned out a bit hot. You lads that like the Chilli would like it okay though. The first batch was just like the shop bought Biltong why I decided to try and improve on it. I suppose you aways do.P1200645.jpg.5555ac1e6a55bbae9c1122b8f858f745.jpg

Cheers Arry

Looks good, are you going to do some venison?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Interesting, must say it looks quite nice.

Well pleased with it mate. The wife's moaning how long is it going to be in the kitchen Lol. Takes longer to marinate the meat than to dry it.

Cheers Arry

3 hours ago, Arry said:

Well pleased with it mate. The wife's moaning how long is it going to be in the kitchen Lol. Takes longer to marinate the meat than to dry it.

Cheers Arry

I presume you can dehydrate lots of things in them, not something I’ve ever thought about before, but I do love jerky, I feel a google coming on now.

3 hours ago, Rabid said:

I presume you can dehydrate lots of things in them, not something I’ve ever thought about before, but I do love jerky, I feel a google coming on now.

Just about any thing but the one thing I was surprised that was on the list was the time to dry a sprout. 

Cheers Arry

12 hours ago, Arry said:

I'll try all sorts now Rob. recon venison would be good nice and lean, try and get some of my mate. Only takes about four hours in the dryer well impressed.

Cheers Arry

I'd recommend it, the best South African biltong is made from game, gazelles, etc. Anytime any of my relatives visit I always ask them for some biltong, the big strips about a foot long and some Klipdrift premium brandy!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, robertb123 said:

I'd recommend it, the best South African biltong is made from game, gazelles, etc. Anytime any of my relatives visit I always ask them for some biltong, the big strips about a foot long and some Klipdrift premium brandy!

Oh mate both of of them sound really great. Love me biltong/jerky etc etc. Brandy I love never even knew South African's made brandy, but just know it will be good so I'll look out for it. Long strips you say I'll have a go been using beef skirt seems to work quite well but if I bought a large piece I could get some good size pieces. Been cut with the grain of the meat for long chewy pieces and against the grain across the meat for less chewy pieces. Atb

Cheers Arry

8 minutes ago, Arry said:

Oh mate both of of them sound really great. Love me biltong/jerky etc etc. Brandy I love never even knew South African's made brandy, but just know it will be good so I'll look out for it. Long strips you say I'll have a go been using beef skirt seems to work quite well but if I bought a large piece I could get some good size pieces. Been cut with the grain of the meat for long chewy pieces and against the grain across the meat for less chewy pieces. Atb

Cheers Arry

Yeah the brandy's lovely, especially with the exchange rate, the klipdrifts about £30 or so on amazon, on a south African website it's about a tenner, but don't know what the postage would be! or whether you could trust the post to deliver it!

the biltong is like a large rectangle and you cut thin pieces off the smaller side, hope this makes sense. I think they do it this way so it doesn't get completely dry and crumbly like some of the pre cut biltongs you get. Let us know how you get on with the venison. I think there might be a few emails sent tonight from this side tonight!

48 minutes ago, robertb123 said:

Yeah the brandy's lovely, especially with the exchange rate, the klipdrifts about £30 or so on amazon, on a south African website it's about a tenner, but don't know what the postage would be! or whether you could trust the post to deliver it!

the biltong is like a large rectangle and you cut thin pieces off the smaller side, hope this makes sense. I think they do it this way so it doesn't get completely dry and crumbly like some of the pre cut biltongs you get. Let us know how you get on with the venison. I think there might be a few emails sent tonight from this side tonight!

Sounds good to me mate will look into it, fond of a good brandy. Yea all makes sense had biltong/Jerky from all over some of the best came from oz but sure I can get some good stuff out. Atb

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 02/01/2019 at 14:30, Arry said:

Cheers Arry

Right up my street and the biltong stuff is yum

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Did another batch yesterday not so hot this time, bought bit of beef skirt £2.50 marinated over night, 4 hours in the dehydrator. Good batch enough to fill one of them large Chinese take away containers. But I must be more religious with the measures of the marinate instead of a bit of this and a bit of that, so I can replicate a good batch Lol.

If any of you lads have a really good recipe that you would not mind sharing please tell. I been using recipes of the net, seem good and tastes as good as the stuff hanging in the booze isle.

Cheers Arry