Kits

I got out for a walk around some horse paddocks yesterday that normally hold few rabbits , I've left this place until now as i have a bedy greyhound pup just coming up to her first birthday and it's a good spot to start her ferreting.

I walked the fence line and I saw plenty of well used runs and I see a couple bolt into a large pile of wood.

So everything looking good for a days ferreting with the stinkers and the pup,

Just before I left one of the horse owners turned up and we was chatting when a cock phesant started calling,we both turned to look and a fox was coming out the wood heap with a rabbit kit in it's mouth. I  ofton see ? around the paddocks but rabbit kits this early,I suppose they breeding all year round now.

Atb

Went out yesterday and every doe I caught was pregnant, the week before that I caught half grown rabbit maybe 6 weeks old so must’ve been born around mid November.....I think we aren’t fair away from 12 months of the year breeding if they aren’t already. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Went out yesterday and every doe I caught was pregnant, the week before that I caught half grown rabbit maybe 6 weeks old so must’ve been born around mid November.....I think we aren’t fair away from 12 months of the year breeding if they aren’t already. 

Getting the same thing  Bob.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

The only reason for only ferreting in winter now is because the nettles are down a bit. Rabbits at it all year now.

Welcome to my world, they breed all year round here always have, all you need now is for the rain to stop, and the temp to rise enough to harden the ground, so you cant dig it, not to mention running your dogs on it all year round. The good news is you say goodbye to the word season.

• Like 1

Seeing a few out at night whilst lamping there seems to be some about at anytime of the year then you get a really good frost for a day or two and the does start to reaborb the kits 

Was a time I wouldn't ferret if young was about as first young was end of season for me ,last ten years I've seen young most months of the year so I'll stop ,end of Jan ,just want to give pup few days out and see how she takes to few coney in nets .atb