Sea fishing (boat)

As a few of you already know, I loves me boat fishing, well my usual haunts are south coast, east, southeast, Devon and cornwall.

This year I want to venture north for new experiences and places to see/visit.

so, what’s hot and what’s not, some of the places I’ve been considering.

The Mersey,

Anglesey,

TheHumber,

Whitby, and all around those general areas.

looking for some winter sport, and when I find some nice spots will also be a summer visit on the cards as well.

requirements will be, salt water ?  hopefully fish, or at least a fair chance of getting into them, slipway, preferably with parking for truck and trailer, in an ideal word i like to try and do a few days at a time for anything upto a week or more, so some reasonably priced digs nearby.

happy to trade trips for info, not looking for secret marks as I know how guarded they can be, but general areas and local knowledge is better than anything you can get.

My tin hat is firmly in place, so all replies welcome regardless how crazy, or THLesque they may be.

16 minutes ago, Rabid said:

As a few of you already know, I loves me boat fishing, well my usual haunts are south coast, east, southeast, Devon and cornwall.

This year I want to venture north for new experiences and places to see/visit.

so, what’s hot and what’s not, some of the places I’ve been considering.

The Mersey,

Anglesey,

TheHumber,

Whitby, and all around those general areas.

looking for some winter sport, and when I find some nice spots will also be a summer visit on the cards as well.

requirements will be, salt water ?  hopefully fish, or at least a fair chance of getting into them, slipway, preferably with parking for truck and trailer, in an ideal word i like to try and do a few days at a time for anything upto a week or more, so some reasonably priced digs nearby.

happy to trade trips for info, not looking for secret marks as I know how guarded they can be, but general areas and local knowledge is better than anything you can get.

My tin hat is firmly in place, so all replies welcome regardless how crazy, or THLesque they may be.

Someone from my work fishes the humber most weekends Jan-March. Uptiding for Cod.  Said they get plenty of fish and a fair few doubles in the mix. Supposed to be taking me out this year so we shall see, I've done very little sea fishing. By the way, he drives from Birmingham for the fishing, be a couple hours each way, so guessing it's worth the drive.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Whitby and Bridlington always used to be decent, haven't fished off there for 25 years mind ?

Cheers, D.

I don’t think it’s changed that much then,. I hear it still fishes well on it’s day

19 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Someone from my work fishes the humber most weekends Jan-March. Uptiding for Cod.  Said they get plenty of fish and a fair few doubles in the mix. Supposed to be taking me out this year so we shall see, I've done very little sea fishing. By the way, he drives from Birmingham for the fishing, be a couple hours each way, so guessing it's worth the drive.

Yes, I was up there for a work related trip a couple of weeks ago and liked the place, looks promising, don’t suppose you know where he launches/parks ?

11 minutes ago, Rabid said:

I don’t think it’s changed that much then,. I hear it still fishes well on it’s day

Yes, I was up there for a work related trip a couple of weeks ago and liked the place, looks promising, don’t suppose you know where he launches/parks ?

He goes out with someone who has a boat in harbour. 

Just be wary if it's foggy. They have nearly come a cropper a couple times apparantley with big ships not following the correct shipping routes(?) Guess it makes sense to you! To me they were nearly ran over by a bigger boat!

• Like 1

Ah ok, that makes sense.

you would be amazed at some of the run in with tankers and the like, I’ve had them in the channel, no one on look out, running autopilot, often well off the lanes, gotta be on your guard all the time hence radar overlay on the plotter

Mersey has been producing codling lately I believe, but the only slip is at New Brighton on the wirral, and you used to need powerboat level 2 and insurance and there is a fee to launch unless you got there early then it was free ?. Anglesey and the Menia Straits has quite a few slips dotted around, Bull Bay, Moel y Don, Menai Bridge, Trearddur Bay, Traeth Bychan, Beaumaris an a few others. In spring / summer I would definately head down the Llyn peninsular, one of the best launches (and fishing) was at Trefor but I believe they gated it off and closed the slip this year. On the north coast of llyn that only leaves Porth Ysgadyn or Porth Colmon, or launch at Ty Calch in the Menai Straits and steam down. Or you can beach launch at Nefyn or Morfa Nefyn but the beaches are shallow. South coast of Llyn easiest launch is pwllheli or beach launches at Aberdaron or Abersoch, or the other side of Cardigan Bay at Shell Island. Not sure on cost / insrance requirements etc on these now, but we just used to get there before 7am to save paying lol. Boatlaunch.co.uk used to have info on all these and more. Feel free to PM for more info

• Like 1
On 02/01/2019 at 16:41, Daniel cain said:

aberthaw way for bass,three cliffs bay and wormshead,all lovely spots?

Thanks DC, never really considered wales, but it’s going on the shortlist, not too touristy, stunning scenery, thanks, all those you mention look like a nice break.

On 03/01/2019 at 15:09, Arry said:

Used to do a lot of small boat fishing Teignmouth to Hope cove mainly South Devon found this book most helpful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dive-South-Devon-Diver-Guide/dp/0946020116

Its got the Lat and Long but they are in minutes and seconds you have to convert for hundredths. I think it has 250 wrecks and other marks.

Cheers Arry 

Cheers Arry, not really so bothered about marks as i have charts galore and numerous apps, I also use one called WreckFinder, sounds very similiar as it was developed for and by divers.

On 03/01/2019 at 02:00, gazjon5 said:

Mersey has been producing codling lately I believe, but the only slip is at New Brighton on the wirral, and you used to need powerboat level 2 and insurance and there is a fee to launch unless you got there early then it was free ?. Anglesey and the Menia Straits has quite a few slips dotted around, Bull Bay, Moel y Don, Menai Bridge, Trearddur Bay, Traeth Bychan, Beaumaris an a few others. In spring / summer I would definately head down the Llyn peninsular, one of the best launches (and fishing) was at Trefor but I believe they gated it off and closed the slip this year. On the north coast of llyn that only leaves Porth Ysgadyn or Porth Colmon, or launch at Ty Calch in the Menai Straits and steam down. Or you can beach launch at Nefyn or Morfa Nefyn but the beaches are shallow. South coast of Llyn easiest launch is pwllheli or beach launches at Aberdaron or Abersoch, or the other side of Cardigan Bay at Shell Island. Not sure on cost / insrance requirements etc on these now, but we just used to get there before 7am to save paying lol. Boatlaunch.co.uk used to have info on all these and more. Feel free to PM for more info

Wow, detailed response and a bit to take in, thanks for that. I will take a look at those and research the areas, much appreciated.

probably should have stated I do have pb level 2 and fully insured.

• Like 1

I live next to the Number Rabid and used to part own a 30' boat to fish this area. There is a very active group fishing from Cleethorpes catching quite a few for at the moment.

Hotels are easy at this time of the year and I am guessing quite cheap, will have to think where to keep the boat save while you are fast asleep.

If interested, pm me and I will make some enquiries for you.

Phil

• Like 1
On 08/01/2019 at 21:05, longers01 said:

Me and our kid went on a boat trip out of Whitby in July 60 quid each brilliant day didn't get out really big but had cod to 8 pound and ling to 11 pound but had plenty of um mate atb longers01

Certainly some good boats out of there, I believe an 8lb cod is pretty decent for that area, as I understand it, lots upto 10lb but not many go over that, although been summer I am guessing you were fishing on the wrecks and not anchored with bait.

15 hours ago, philpot said:

I live next to the Number Rabid and used to part own a 30' boat to fish this area. There is a very active group fishing from Cleethorpes catching quite a few for at the moment.

Hotels are easy at this time of the year and I am guessing quite cheap, will have to think where to keep the boat save while you are fast asleep.

If interested, pm me and I will make some enquiries for you.

Phil

Cheers Phil, will see what I can find out on the Cleethorpes group, 

I stayed in a hotel in Grimsby not long ago, plenty of parking for boat and trailer, but if I come up I will either look at a b+b type thing with parking and slipway nearby, or visitor mooring in a harbour somewhere to make life easier.

what boat did you have a share in, 30’ is a very nice size, but I wouldn’t be wanting to move that around by road much, I’ve got a 24 footer and that’s big enough.

Rob.

It was a converted life boat from and old cruise liner which we ( 4 of us) converted into a fishing  boat. It was a displacement hull with an inboard diesel engine  and very heavy so it was kept in Grimsby docks until the costs became too high. I dropped out then another until it was finally sold.

Phil

• Like 1