Winter Sea Kayaking Advice

A while back I bought an Ocean Malibu 2XL and a couple of Ocean Malibu Frenzies all with wetsuits and buoyancy aids etc from a shop, they were only ever intended for family fun in the summer and me going off doing a bit of sea fishing. 

I have had some cracking days out sea fishing off my kayak and days out kayaking around the South Coast. They are currently stored at a boatyard next to the sea but I now find myself wanting to have the odd day out in winter and would appreciate any advice on what to wear for winter sea kayaking ie wetsuit or drysuit with layers etc.

Also I bought a Mamboola roof sponge rack which is brilliant for local outings and for quickness but would also appreciate any advice on the best/safest roof rack to transport the Maibu 2XL and maybe one Frenzy for longer journeys.

Am looking to purchase pretty much tomorrow or day after. 

Thanks

Wilbs

Just seen your post mate. This time of year you would want to go along the lines of a dry suit. Nothing too expensive as you are not in and out the water. It’s just a case of if you did fall in!! Wind and cold are the main things that will ruin your day. I wear a dry suit with a thermal layer underneath. Nothing too over the top otherwise you will over heat. It’s hard to take layers off once you are afloat. Trail and error really. Decent sock under the suit and some cheap/old trainers (allow a couple of sizes up) they will then fit the socks and drysuit socks without being too tight. I have trailed gloves etc but find they get in the way. If I’m sat still I just stick my hands down my bouancy aid to keep warm. Roof rack wise it will depend on you type of vehicle. There’s not much weight to them so any standard set should do. Get some decent straps and a wire type bike lock so you can secure them. Stops people cutting the straps and having them away. ?

Edited by white van man
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the advice much appreciated. I've been looking for a dry suit online and am going to order a GUL one, have got plenty of thermal gear already. 

Over the years have done most activities beneath the ocean and on top so am respectful of the sea and how it can catch you out which is why I am after a dry suit just as a precaution really. 

Am fairly new to kayaking but am surprised how addictive it is especially discovering new coves, bays etc that you can't get to on foot.

Gul is decent enough for what you want then. Wasn’t sure how experienced you were. It’s a case of getting out there and finding some decent fishing spots. I’m more of a kayaker than I am a fisherman. The two go hand in hand so I have started taking the rod when I head out. If I have a group on the water with me then they seem to enjoy it. Going to be concentrating more on the fishing over the summer. Looking to run some multi day trips, cook what you catch etc. It’s amazing going to places that no one else can get to to fish 

• Like 1

In the summer months we spend hours snorkelling with the kids and we have found a couple of places where there are pipes going into the sea think they might be surface water drainage but not sure what they are and the amount of fish hiding underneath them is surprising, we have had some cracking days there but you have to get your bait right underneath the pipe for the best results. It's surprising what's right in front of you when the tide is right in.

On 03/01/2019 at 20:30, white van man said:

Gul is decent enough for what you want then. Wasn’t sure how experienced you were. It’s a case of getting out there and finding some decent fishing spots. I’m more of a kayaker than I am a fisherman. The two go hand in hand so I have started taking the rod when I head out. If I have a group on the water with me then they seem to enjoy it. Going to be concentrating more on the fishing over the summer. Looking to run some multi day trips, cook what you catch etc. It’s amazing going to places that no one else can get to to fish 

I would be keen to come along on a kayak, catch and cook trip, that's sounds brilliant!

• Like 1