BSA Side by side

I have a BSA s/s shotgun, I was given it years ago by an old guy who was on his last legs. None of his family shot and he couldn't bear to hand it in. 

It's fairly battered and I have always just assumed it was an old heap but recently I was told, as an English made gun it was worth money.

I have no idea about shotgun values, is there likely to be any truth in what he said? The gun has definitely had a hard life though

BSA made perfectly reasonable shotguns (and a lot of other things) in their day.  They didn't make classics.  Any shotgun has a value but don't expect to retire on the proceeds from a fairly battered old BSA.

That isn't most peoples impression of a classic Old English shotgun!

ATB!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Deker said:

BSA made perfectly reasonable shotguns (and a lot of other things) in their day.  They didn't make classics.  Any shotgun has a value but don't expect to retire on the proceeds from a fairly battered old BSA.

That isn't most peoples impression of a classic Old English shotgun!

ATB!

That was pretty much what I had thought, it certainly isn't a purdey!

The reason it crossed my mind is that I am thinking of replacing it with a o/u. Being double trigger and non ejector it's a pretty basic beast and I shot it yesterday on an invite and could have done with an ejector

5 hours ago, Tyla said:

That was pretty much what I had thought, it certainly isn't a purdey!

The reason it crossed my mind is that I am thinking of replacing it with a o/u. Being double trigger and non ejector it's a pretty basic beast and I shot it yesterday on an invite and could have done with an ejector

At the end of the day its a gun and if you shoot well with it and can bring down the birds why do anything with it. The value of s/h sbs's is at rock bottom because they arent in fashion. Just shoot it. I love to use some of mine and pull of a few sparkling shots with them. Especially the #2 round action in 28 gauge.

Edited by Meece