CCI .22 LR HP.

57 minutes ago, walshie said:

I've had decent results with the CCI  subs (not tried the HV ones) but my go-to round is Eley subs. 

Never been a fan of the Eley in the field, no question they are quite accurate, but despite their reputation I've not found them any more accurate than many others. Target wise for sure!:thumbs:

Winchester and Magtech subs have a massive HP, just as accurate for me and expand well.

Remington subs are cheap as chips but awful, other than that they all tend to work reasonably well.

CCI ok but I use nothing but Subs in the .22 these days, and, for rabbits the odd crow or pigeon as mentioned in OP, no need for HV copper coated at all, subs do the job fine, and pass through less likely on all those quarry!

Just my experiences! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

A couple of years back I found Eleys to be very waxy and the odd one didn't extract properly due to the buildup. I switched to CCI subs and didn't have the problem. I think Eley have sorted the issue now and I've been using them again for the last 6 months or so with no problem.

On 27/12/2018 at 15:41, walshie said:

I've had decent results with the CCI  subs (not tried the HV ones) but my go-to round is Eley subs. 

I thought they where shite they where richotteing all over the place and i usually go for a heart shot i would go to get the rabbit and it would be 5 yards on with a yard of guts trailing behind a dead rabbit there no for me 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, The one said:

I thought they where shite they where richotteing all over the place and i usually go for a heart shot i would go to get the rabbit and it would be 5 yards on with a yard of guts trailing behind a dead rabbit there no for me 

A bad workman always blames his tools. :whistling:

Very little to reason to use HV's tbh. They have uses, but most find subs better simply because they're good enough for most jobs at close range and near silent with a moderator. HV's make a lot of noise for little usable range gain over subs.

If you need more range for crows, (they are wary and can stay several hundred yards away), then keep the .22 with subs for bunnys and use a small CF for the crows.

Also, when you talk crows and pigeons, I'm assuming we're talking grounded here. You're new to non air rifles by the sound of it and I don't know what your background is, but even .22RF is dangerous to 1.5 miles potentially when elevated. Never shoot any target with a rifle unless you have a good solid earth background behind it, and beware stony ground as .22RF is prone to ricochet. Many a good shot is left by experienced shooters because it's unsafe. Better to let prey go for another day, than end up in a whole lot of very serious legal trouble if property is damaged or someone is injured by a stray shot. It's always your responsibility to ensure any shot you take is safe. Bear that in mind and you won't go far wrong.

• Like 3