What’s the difference between average and very good dogs

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me I like to turn up on a field like an Apache gunship. I flick into scan mode using the red beam to highlight any potential targets. One detected 80yard! I prime my four legged missile which also

To tell you the truth I come from a pretty crap family lol and had nothing and no help whatsoever and have worked very hard in life for myself and am comfortable/happy and it gives me a buzz to help p

About 25 "likes" and a few good photos

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

I’ll be honest I’ve never heard someone call one a Jukel apart from on this site hahaha I’ve had to resort to google and found its the Romani word for dog ??? why would anyone want to use Jukel. Seems abit odd to me that’s all ? I apologise

Possibly something to do with the hunting company you keep over the years,before i kept company with the travelling community some of the old timers in Lancashire called their mutts Jukels and as with vulgarism,s of speech you spoke accordingly,years later it was a common enough used terminology amongst the many roadside dwellers i hunted with.Deerhoundy lurchers were always classed as staghounds,a term now deceased and collie lurchers were curs.Ferrets were stinkers,rats long tails and rabbits scuts.There are endless variations up and down the country in hunting terminology and the use of the English language,that is heavily influenced by the Norse the French and the travelling community.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, morton said:

Possibly something to do with the hunting company you keep over the years,before i kept company with the travelling community some of the old timers in Lancashire called their mutts Jukels and as with vulgarism,s of speech you spoke accordingly,years later it was a common enough used terminology amongst the many roadside dwellers i hunted with.Deerhoundy lurchers were always classed as staghounds,a term now deceased and collie lurchers were curs.Ferrets were stinkers,rats long tails and rabbits scuts.There are endless variations up and down the country in hunting terminology and the use of the English language,that is heavily influenced by the Norse the French and the travelling community.

"stags" isn't deceased, old boy selling memory foam mattresses would be the last fella I heard use it. And long tail = pheasant

20 minutes ago, morton said:

6 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Hmm I'd say most hunting terminology comes from English language.  Pikeys have always had their own form of language doesnt mean any of it is used in the general population . There's also a difference between slang and romany

ALL BULLSHIT. A lurcher is, was and still is A LURCHER. A ferret is  still a ferret

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

We all now know the 'old olden days of yesteryear etc' but how many people do you actually know, for YEARS, has called rabbits 'scuts' pheasants ' longtails' lurchers 'jukels' etc etc? Not for faaaKin YEARS!! FACT!!

There's a few folk around my area still call dogs jukels and rabbits swish. 

Just now, trigger2 said:

There's a few folk around my area still call dogs jukels and rabbits swish. 

Ah well, I've never heard anyone, even gypsies, call a lurcher a 'jukel', or a rabbit a 'swish'. Like almost everything on this site, perhaps it's best to leave folk believing what they believe

Edited by shaaark
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

We all now know the 'old olden days of yesteryear etc' but how many people do you actually know, for YEARS, has called rabbits 'scuts' pheasants ' longtails' lurchers 'jukels' etc etc? Not for faaaKin YEARS!! FACT!!

Rats are long tails not pheasants,fact,as i was born and bred in the very 60,s and the vulgarisms of my speech started many decades ago i find it difficult to adapt  to what some see as standard now.Ill readily admit the folk i felt the most comfortable with,as hunting companions,are mostly in their graves now,the few i catch up with talk their talk and i listen with affection.As with anything we progress,alas the hunting lifestyles of most cannot compare with some of the folk i hunted with,thus i speak accordingly and make no excuse for the terminology i have an affinity to.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Ah well, I've never heard anyone, even gypsies, call a lurcher a 'jukel', or a rabbit a 'swish'. Like almost everything on this site, perhaps it's best to leave folk believing what they believe

You should go to Newark, Nottinghamshire it’s like a different language. Dogs are jucks, Rabbits are shushi, a peeve is a beer. There is a Traveller site on the side of the Trent there and the language has spilled over to the town mush.