What’s the difference between average and very good dogs

as for traveller talk allot of lurcher men try to talk like travellers, don't know why, and travellers try to claim they started every thing to do with lurchers/coursing dogs, my granny allways talked about uncle owen like he invented poaching, but I cant remember him doing owt when we went to stop with them when I was a kid, they had a lovely spot in Cheshire its right next to the m6 now.

• Like 2

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me I like to turn up on a field like an Apache gunship. I flick into scan mode using the red beam to highlight any potential targets. One detected 80yard! I prime my four legged missile which also

To tell you the truth I come from a pretty crap family lol and had nothing and no help whatsoever and have worked very hard in life for myself and am comfortable/happy and it gives me a buzz to help p

About 25 "likes" and a few good photos

Posted Images

4 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

That's modern day slang for moody memory foam mattresses filled with longtail feathers, or is it rat tail springs allus catches me out that one  ?

I think youv ate 2 many eggs drank 2 many kegs 

The time for onion sets is upon us 

On 26/12/2018 at 16:32, Balaur said:

My first lurcher a Hancock dog was a bad dog owned by an inexperienced owner , temperament is key . You have to get along with the dog you own. A better owner would've undoubtedly made a better dog of him and my expectations were high. I've a Cocker x that I love working isn't exactly what I expected but surprises me regularly I'd have another in a heart beat. I've a lurcher bitch that is definitely keen once I get the opportunity she'll do me fine I'm sure and is easy to live with as well as seriously driven. I've seen a fair few dogs working and not many strike me as above average.  Lots of people own dogs I wouldn't want but I'm no dogman and feel it should please the owner . I know guys who put a lot of meat on the table but there definition's are different to mine . Enjoy what you got if you can't  change it , atb Joe 

Not a bad post mate....

As long as they put a shift in and try I'm fairly happy....I'd still like to find that real alrounder to suit everything you can throw at them in style, but to date average at most things and pretty good at some seems par for the course with the dogs I've seen and owned...

Probably the best dog I've seen for many years in the flesh is owned by a good mate who has never been on the internet...Probably tells it's own story lol

• Like 3
On 26/12/2018 at 20:30, trigger2 said:

I think we could all tell a shit dog if we seen one. but with the many differences in land to work dogs and a choice of day or night work or even dogs that do a mixture of the two regular Can anyone enlighten me on what the differences between a dog  average at best is as they say and those that are real good dogs. I wouldn’t have thought the two would be a million miles apart work wise.  So what is it in a dog that in your mind makes a dog from at average at best to a very good dog. 

One mans trash is another mans treasure. The answer to your question is opinion.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

One mans trash is another mans treasure. The answer to your question is opinion.

i remember years ago I had a very good bitch, and was invited on a coursing day with some well known coursing men, there was a bitch that ran that day and caught I hare from 3, I was tempted to try and buy it, but I all ways bred my own so pride stopped me, but I knew it would be moved on, but the way it ran I could of made that bitch much better, I have often looked back and regretted that, some men in their search for glory can miss a diamond in the rough.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 2

Stand back and look at yourself I often do I have loads faults tomo once  got a invite to a coursing meet and won way a dog that was not even breed for it I think Merlin and eve both went home empty handed that day atb best hare dog I've owned I payed tupance for I was offered a 4 figure sum for her but you can't buy me ?even she had faults there is no such thing as perfection it doesn't exist 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Stand back and look at yourself I often do I have loads faults tomo once  got a invite to a coursing meet and won way a dog that was not even breed for it I think Merlin and eve both went home empty handed that day atb best hare dog I've owned I payed tupance for I was offered a 4 figure sum for her but you can't buy me ?even she had faults there is no such thing as perfection it doesn't exist 

I never paid big money for a dog, I sold a pup about 18 or mabe 20 years ago for 150 that was sold at 18 months £7,500 my present bitch was £280 and no one could buy her she is extremely average.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Never sold a adult dog in my life ???????? think cockapoo is the latest thing ?

I parted with 2 adults both bought as adults, one I kept a week decent bitch but dodgy temp with my other dogs, a mate had it for same money I paid, the other was bred down from my old 70s stuff with a bit of merlin eve added my heart ruled my head on that one she WAS very average, but I gave her to a lamping mate and it was the bizz at that game and did it all, I wont ever buy another adult dog again or sell one.