What’s the difference between average and very good dogs

I think we could all tell a shit dog if we seen one. but with the many differences in land to work dogs and a choice of day or night work or even dogs that do a mixture of the two regular Can anyone enlighten me on what the differences between a dog  average at best is as they say and those that are real good dogs. I wouldn’t have thought the two would be a million miles apart work wise.  So what is it in a dog that in your mind makes a dog from at average at best to a very good dog. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me I like to turn up on a field like an Apache gunship. I flick into scan mode using the red beam to highlight any potential targets. One detected 80yard! I prime my four legged missile which also

To tell you the truth I come from a pretty crap family lol and had nothing and no help whatsoever and have worked very hard in life for myself and am comfortable/happy and it gives me a buzz to help p

About 25 "likes" and a few good photos

Posted Images

That's an in answerable question as everyone expects different things really as a good dog to me and what want out of it might be totally different to yourself and what you expect. We will all see a dog in our life or a few maybe that we think that dog is amazing but if we owned it, it may not do as well for the graft you put in to. 

Daytime pre ban an average dog may catch 1/2 2/2 then blank few times when dead of winter or get the odd 1 on lamp the difference is dogs that catch half chances and ones that come home with bootful gear,everyone s expectations are different some people are happy getting the odd bit stuff here and there then there’s others who want there dogs to excel at what they do ie if you run 30 rabbits on lamp catch at least 25 etc.

None of them are perfect just like us humans ????your kidding yourselfs on if you think different some may excell at certain tasks that all that’s why there called lurchers  never two the same anything that can feed itself is worth kennelling ?

• Like 3

For me there is one quality that all dogs should have irrespective of what cross they are and that is prey drive.

They must have a strong prey drive and want it badly. Nothing more enjoyable than working a dog that has a do or die attitude to the game.

It doesn't mean they catch more necessarily, but having a dog that is all or nothing is a joy to watch and hunt with.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Boss-Hog said:

some peoples expectations  are a lot higher than most  

Spot on i would say ....Some dog men have higher standards and what may be a world beater to some are at best average to others .

Edited by Big Ron
  • Haha 1