Indoors ferret bed.

king

Right I've got a ferret court attached to the side of a brick shed.

The shed has been done out like a living room for my lad he spends loads of time in there.

Right he has asked me if the ferrets can have some sort of box in there attached to the court.

So the plan is to knock a hole through from the court but trying to think what would be best to use in the shed.

With the shed being warmer than the court I'm sure the ferrets will sleep in there.

So I want something so the lad can see the ferrets and have access to pull them out etc.so a ply  sealed wooden box isn't ideal.

Any ideas.big enough for 2 jills and 1 hob.

2 hours ago, Chaff said:

Do you want your boy to have access to the ferrets from the box mate ?

Yea that's the plan chaff instead of the lad standing in the court for an hour.he can sit in his shed and pull 1 ferret out at the time and leave it climb all over him while he sits on his reclining sofa chair.my lad is addicted to the ferrets.

But with only a brick wall separating them it seems common sense to allow the ferrets access to his shed as that's what he wants.and it will benefit the ferrets as well.its a win win situation.

@Night Walker I really like that idea but it's going to be hard cutting a hole in the glass etc.

@socks that sounds ideal ken.something along them lines would be great.this weekend I've promised him I will sort it.so tomorrow to finalise the plan and get building Saturday.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Get an old wooden viv with sliding front doors out it against wall an jist bore a hole right throo back of viv throo wall into run, always a few a them viva about for sale cheap an should look okay aswell sat on a wee shelf or table?

Hey that's a good idea Katchum.ive seen a few lads over the years with them with snakes in etc.a 4"plank on its side inside front of the glass to stop the sawdust or hay spilling out.would do the job.

8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Most have got a lip on it to stop the substrate stuff getting out anyways, we had a tortoise in one years back an it looked quite smart sat on side, an the glass sliding doors can even come way a wee lock on em to stop anybody else getting onto em?

Yea I've seen them silver coloured key locks on the glass doors.i will have a look on the sake web sites now see what's about ?

How about use a bit of flexi drainage pipe cut hole through wall bring that into shed seal up with expanding foam run it to where you want it in shed then build a small hutch hole on side to connect pipe. I could make you one mate and send it flat packed ?

2 hours ago, Flacko said:

Put a pic up mate once you’ve sorted it atb Flacko 

Yea I will do flacko.

@Chaff

I've got about 40ft of that blue perforated flexi drainage pipe here I use it for the ferrets in the court chaff.

I really appreciate the offer mate.but I've promised the lad it will be built tomorrow.the plan now is to buy a vivarium like Katchum mentioned and take out 1 whole brick and have 2 pipes 1 in each side of the vivarium.running through the wall so they don't meet half way in the pipe.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, king said:

Yea I will do flacko.

@Chaff

I've got about 40ft of that blue perforated flexi drainage pipe here I use it for the ferrets in the court chaff.

I really appreciate the offer mate.but I've promised the lad it will be built tomorrow.the plan now is to buy a vivarium like Katchum mentioned and take out 1 whole brick and have 2 pipes 1 in each side of the vivarium.running through the wall so they don't meet half way in the pipe.

Sounds like a good plan mate be interested to see it when its done hope it all goes well for you king

• Like 1
1 hour ago, king said:

Yea I will do flacko.

@Chaff

Good luck mate sounds like it will be tidy for your lad ??

• Like 1
8 hours ago, socks said:

How are you going to cut a hole in a glass vavarium .... and also you have the fact that glass doesn’t heat up so it could be very cold in the winter ......

Only glass is on the front ken.ive just got back now been to buy a 2ft vivarium.

I've seen 3ft and 4ft vivariums for sale but my thoughts are the bigger it is they might start using 1 corner for toilet duty which 1 don't want.

An another benefit is the oil boiler is in the shed I've removed the front panel and removed the boiler jacket to reveal a very hot metal panel on the front of the boiler.it acts like a small radiator in the shed.

I will post pics tomorrow when its finished.

• Like 2