Lab x grey

4 hours ago, bird said:

the flat coat, and golden have very calm sensitive temps,  the curly  a differnt temp , more sharper  and the best guard of the 3 types, there was woman had bitch that went to our local boozer years back , and you wouldn't mess with that dog. she told me  that they were very popular with keepers as a  gun dog and they took them out at night as well, reckon on of them x back to whippet x grey you get good rabbit and  odd few foxes pre ban . 

Bit off topic, but I used to occasional deal with the odd Golden retriever.....they could be unpredictable snappy b*****ds. I witnessed one been handled by a female co worker....it was calm as anything then all of a sudden bit straight through her hand, she passed out and her head went clonk on the concrete floor......there was no good reason for it to bite her. Wouldn’t trust one around kids....no matter how sedate some think they are.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would totally agree with this , have seen plenty cracking pointers and some stunning working labs. I think even with a good working strain of lab in a lurcher cross you'd still get too many heavy pu

Proper, old school, mouching dogs, I like them well enough ?

The Lab x collie grey I mentioned I grew up with. She knew more about the game than me at the time.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

Bit off topic, but I used to occasional deal with the odd Golden retriever.....they could be unpredictable snappy b*****ds. I witnessed one been handled by a female co worker....it was calm as anything then all of a sudden bit straight through her hand, she passed out and her head went clonk on the concrete floor......there was no good reason for it to bite her. Wouldn’t trust one around kids....no matter how sedate some think they are.

Golden retrievers attacks were given the name retriever rage, I’ve not come across it myself but it’s well documented, cockers & springers attack’s are also becoming more common it’s well documented on the net.

5 hours ago, Str said:

Golden retrievers attacks were given the name retriever rage, I’ve not come across it myself but it’s well documented, cockers & springers attack’s are also becoming more common it’s well documented on the net.

As a kid we had a springer you wouldn't get anywhere near i not immediate family, bit someone who put his hand through the cracked open can window you have never seen so much blood.

Very hard mouthed and used to rat, but only went pigeon shooting..

Them flatcoats are sly horrible dogs. Wouldnt trust any dog round children but wouldnt have one of them around me for love nor money you can put up with a dog you know just hates people apart from the person that feeds it but cant have a dog that acts sound then puts in a bite with no warning

• Like 1

posted on here 2 years ago, this was my pup of choice. my lab is now 4 years old, from working stock, leggy and has worked with a saluki x greyhound all his life. the saluki is now 11 years old. this year the lab will be crossed over a track greyhound. these animals are big and can be a handful, [ I owned one back in my youth in the 70s]  I will post pics over the next couple of weeks.  powerful, obedient, natural hunters. never catch a hare. but anything bigger is fare game. my black lab is also a brilliant watch-dog. good to be back on this forum .

• Like 7
7 hours ago, op-herrick said:

posted on here 2 years ago, this was my pup of choice. my lab is now 4 years old, from working stock, leggy and has worked with a saluki x greyhound all his life. the saluki is now 11 years old. this year the lab will be crossed over a track greyhound. these animals are big and can be a handful, [ I owned one back in my youth in the 70s]  I will post pics over the next couple of weeks.  powerful, obedient, natural hunters. never catch a hare. but anything bigger is fare game. my black lab is also a brilliant watch-dog. good to be back on this forum .

I will be very interested to see these pups. Please do keep the pictures coming

11 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Drakeshead lines.atb bill

image.jpeg

that to me is a good looking dog, but over the years I have seen a lot of very racy looking dogs, a lot finer made than him, witch you would think should lessen the chance of to many cloddy pups.

• Like 2

I have fellas with same that's a pic took from drakeshead kennel stud but t up fa keep the thread going ta keep the fire     kindling fa folk with interes. But just remember this it's not all the rangey narrow types that give the better f1s jukel and that goes fa all the f1 type jukels happy hunting atb bill

My tractor broke down earlier and while I was waiting for the engineer a whippet turned up , shortly followed by a lady with about 7 dogs on leads , turns out the whippet was the father , and black lab she had with her the mother and the remainder were the offspring. ... they looked very handy dogs , almost like they had a bit of bull in them , said they had to stay on the lead else no rabbit in the area was safe ☺

10 hours ago, runner neil said:

My tractor broke down earlier and while I was waiting for the engineer a whippet turned up , shortly followed by a lady with about 7 dogs on leads , turns out the whippet was the father , and black lab she had with her the mother and the remainder were the offspring. ... they looked very handy dogs , almost like they had a bit of bull in them , said they had to stay on the lead else no rabbit in the area was safe ☺

That's what I think when I see lab x,they do look very bullyish,

we can talk lurchers on this forum all day long,  iv'e been around long enough to have owned stag/greyhound x in the 1970s,  lurcher x collie in the 80s, and even although I own a saluki/first x now, I never rated this old warrior a true lurcher.  he has more scars than a extra from a mad max film .but i have always seen this x as a running dog on one quarry.  this old saluki x I own likes antlers, and you can get the binoculars out if he's on a run cause he's committed .  the lab I own has worked with this old warrior all his life and I want to put that work into a greyhound. something bolder, something bigger, more drive and less obvious than your skinny running dog.  but much more fun if you want a obedient wrecking machine. [ that will scare the shit out of burglars ] 

• Like 2