Lab x grey

my mates one was cloddy but was still fast enough to catch a rabbit and did not look to lurchery perfect for today, I all ways remember old sooty he used to jump up and down hunting tall cover, he was poisoned prob from drinking from puddles, farm chemicals were allot worse back then, his next dog was a dearhound type fkn useless next to old soot.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would totally agree with this , have seen plenty cracking pointers and some stunning working labs. I think even with a good working strain of lab in a lurcher cross you'd still get too many heavy pu

Proper, old school, mouching dogs, I like them well enough ?

The Lab x collie grey I mentioned I grew up with. She knew more about the game than me at the time.

Posted Images

I believe why they are not more popular is for two reasons. Firstly, to use a 'Plummerism', there would be a fair bit of litter wastage, heavy, strong pups and back say, in the 60's and 70's this would have put a lot of lads off breeding a litter and the knock on effect is with us today. Secondly, Labs have a reputation of being late starters (which may be completely untrue, i aint got a clue as i've never owned a Lab!) And like GSD crosses could put lurcher breeders off...?

The dog Kevj mentions was owned by the bloke who wrote in EDRD years ago under the name Greylab. The dog was a very good fox dog, with huge numbers to it name. If you go back to the early mags you will find some interesting reading about this dog.

There is another i know of now, that also has excelled with bigger quarry. Not the fastest but more than capable.

Cant like your post bosun ?

think the golden age for a gundog lurcher would been when you could walk round with a unlicensed shotgun , but imagine a nice lab x grey or lurcher capable of retrieving shot game ,lamping working to nets and maybe carrying a net line across a river . What more would you need .

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I believe why they are not more popular is for two reasons. Firstly, to use a 'Plummerism', there would be a fair bit of litter wastage, heavy, strong pups and back say, in the 60's and 70's this would have put a lot of lads off breeding a litter and the knock on effect is with us today. Secondly, Labs have a reputation of being late starters (which may be completely untrue, i aint got a clue as i've never owned a Lab!) And like GSD crosses could put lurcher breeders off...?

The dog Kevj mentions was owned by the bloke who wrote in EDRD years ago under the name Greylab. The dog was a very good fox dog, with huge numbers to it name. If you go back to the early mags you will find some interesting reading about this dog.

There is another i know of now, that also has excelled with bigger quarry. Not the fastest but more than capable.

i remember reading about a bitch called wendy and a dog i think was Ged. Was good to read of his experience with the cross back in the day.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, darbo said:

i remember reading about a bitch called wendy and a dog i think was Ged. Was good to read of his experience with the cross back in the day.

Yes I think kevj mentioned the dog being called ged and the other dog bosun mentioned was called bell be interesting to read those articles I bet 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Ged was passed from Greylab to one of my other mates.Asked him about the dog and he said Ged was a great dog on bunnies both ferreting and on lamp.Ged would hunt up quarry well daytime and was also very handy to the terrierman?Wasn’t the fastest dog but still caught plenty of foxes day and night(pre ban obviously)

Edited by Kevj
  • Like 1

From reading the thread (nice interesting one with no dick measuring! Nice change!) It sounds like the perfect cross would be lab x grey then back over a whippet or grey so you only had 1/4 lab in the mix and a bit more running dog for speed but plenty of the labs undoubtedly good qualities. As mentioned the issue then becomes litter wastage on the first X but in today’s dog market would almost certainly find plenty of pet homes if no working homes were available. Definitely a cross I would own if the time was right, always been amazed that more lab lurchers aren’t out there. 

13 hours ago, Mustelid said:

Is anyone tempted to breed a litter?

just read the article   and few good points , but thinking about it , maybe  if x back to whippet x grey =grew  , would deff drop the bone down bit more and get  prob 23-25in dog from this x , as appose to straight greyhound  , just a thought  .? and always thought 3/4  running dog x lab would make good lurcher  brain and speed .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, darbo said:

A part of the article by Harold Wyman.

IMG_1283.JPG

he describes a 1st x in his book the great game, not a runner but good at catching hares on the break, rabbits in their seat, feather, and sending hares on their way netting. His dog Brandy had lab blood iirc.

if a rabbit got pegged on the fell it was normally a lab, mind one getting wrong for it a good few times

• Like 1