Lab x grey

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would totally agree with this , have seen plenty cracking pointers and some stunning working labs. I think even with a good working strain of lab in a lurcher cross you'd still get too many heavy pu

Proper, old school, mouching dogs, I like them well enough ?

The Lab x collie grey I mentioned I grew up with. She knew more about the game than me at the time.

Posted Images

I've never seen a lab x pointer work, but can imagine they would have potential to be very good. I know several gwp, they are hard but headstrong which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you are looking for in the x. You might lose the biddability of the lab if it were 1/2 grey 1/4 gwp?

i have several mates who have labs on the peg all decent, to be honest though they don't do anything else , but I don't think a cross with any thing would improve them for that job,  but for picking up or shooting over on moorland be bob on crossed with pointer, I believe they are already nick named penine pointers and there are quite a few about.

On 24/12/2018 at 09:36, Tyla said:

Barely a negative word said against the cross and yet no one has one currently. It is definitely a route I will look down when the time comes for a new pup

Only a guess but I reckon anyone looking to breed from a good lab would be more inclined to use it to produce saleable pure-bred puppies than lurchers with a limited market and lower price. This would leave leave lurcher production to less formal liaisons  and as not that many people keep "entire"  greyhounds as pets the chances of accidental lab x greyhound litters are small.     Lab x whippet puppies turn up more often.(Tyla;Gill dog-sits a whippet x lab from time to time,reckons it a nicer dog than its pure labrador house-mate)

Edited by comanche
On 20/12/2018 at 20:29, Tyla said:

Whenever these are mentioned good things are said about them but I don't know of anyone on here or in person who actually has one now.

I know there was a litter bred a few years ago by a girl who I've not seen on here in ages. Does anyone know of or have one of the puppies?

I'm quite interested in the x, I've no space now but when some of the oldies move on its something I would think about. I do a little lamping and ferreting and a lot of bushing and stalking, I think the cross might have a fair bit to offer me.

Any thoughts?

I’ve always had an interest in gun dog lurchers. Been someone that just mooches about these days I like a good biddable lurcher that is a natural hunter. There was an article in shooting news/ c m weekly years ago about a fella who had a lab x whippet called topper or something, he loved it as a one for the pot dog.

Anyway I was out with my two the other day and I came across an old bloke with his black Labrador, I’ve never seen such I lovely looking lab ( in my eyes ) sleek and racey with a more lively nature than most I’ve seen.......first thing I thought was I’d cross that with a nice big whip/grey. Anyway it was from a strain called Pocklea.....it was stunning.

I love my springer lurcher and can understand why some people would be tempted with a gundog lurcher. I think you really have to know what you want from your lurcher to step away from a lurcher x lurcher. It really is a case of swings and roundabouts.

I went down this route because I was fed up of my dogs spending just as much time walking the same path as me rather than hunting for something. Some of the best game finding dogs I’ve worked haven’t been lurchers.....Christ my old fashioned jrt caught more rabbits than some of my lurchers and she was tiny and slow, but a very satisfying and rewarding dog to work.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 7

Very good point shortstaw. I do very little lamping or even ferreting these days but alot of mooching with the bushers and alot of deer stalking. I think the gundog blood would suit what I do now with the added benefit of looking less lurchery. 

The problem will be finding a pup when the time comes

34 minutes ago, Tyla said:

Very good point shortstaw. I do very little lamping or even ferreting these days but alot of mooching with the bushers and alot of deer stalking. I think the gundog blood would suit what I do now with the added benefit of looking less lurchery. 

The problem will be finding a pup when the time comes

Very true, few and far between....but keep your eyes open in advance and you may find something. My mother just nearly bought a working cocker x whippet pup, but is now waiting till after the new year....only as a pet and probably way too small for most people, but oddities like this tempt me.

5 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Very true, few and far between....but keep your eyes open in advance and you may find something. My mother just nearly bought a working cocker x whippet pup, but is now waiting till after the new year....only as a pet and probably way too small for most people, but oddities like this tempt me.

I work cockers and believe a cocker lurcher would be a wonderful thing, it would need to be off my old dog though, still punching well above his weight at 11 he is now, I would put him to a whippet tomorrow for a pup, I once had a terrier with beagle in that caught hundreds of rabbits, when I was a kid loads of old mongrels seemed to catch rabbits.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, two crows said:

I work cockers and believe a cocker lurcher would be a wonderful thing, it would need to be off my old dog though, still punching well above his weight at 11 he is now, I would put him to a whippet tomorrow for a pup, I once had a terrier with beagle in that caught hundreds of rabbits, when I was a kid loads of old mongrels seemed to catch rabbits.

Bet they'd make cracking fun little grafters.

• Like 2
On 26/12/2018 at 17:35, Shortstraw said:

I’ve always had an interest in gun dog lurchers. Been someone that just mooches about these days I like a good biddable lurcher that is a natural hunter. There was an article in shooting news/ c m weekly years ago about a fella who had a lab x whippet called topper or something, he loved it as a one for the pot dog.

Anyway I was out with my two the other day and I came across an old bloke with his black Labrador, I’ve never seen such I lovely looking lab ( in my eyes ) sleek and racey with a more lively nature than most I’ve seen.......first thing I thought was I’d cross that with a nice big whip/grey. Anyway it was from a strain called Pocklea.....it was stunning.

I love my springer lurcher and can understand why some people would be tempted with a gundog lurcher. I think you really have to know what you want from your lurcher to step away from a lurcher x lurcher. It really is a case of swings and roundabouts.

I went down this route because I was fed up of my dogs spending just as much time walking the same path as me rather than hunting for something. Some of the best game finding dogs I’ve worked haven’t been lurchers.....Christ my old fashioned jrt caught more rabbits than some of my lurchers and she was tiny and slow, but a very satisfying and rewarding dog to work.

How's your lurcher bred?