.410 hushpower thoughts

On 20/12/2018 at 20:11, Rimfireboy! said:

It would hardly be intrusive at 70 yards away indoors with subsonic carts. Could be heard, but much quieter than an unmoderated twelve. They get quieter with use as the mod cokes up a bit. A plus point with the twenty over the fourten if you go for the Mossberg, is that the twenty is drilled and tapped to accept a weaver rail and the fourten isn’t. 

Hi rimfireboy sorry to get a bit off topic but iv fitted a weaver rail to my 20 bore hushpower and would like to ask, would this be any good?....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201476998442

And do you find it was a big help when you fitted one? Cheers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahhhh. Now we are getting to the truth! The mother in law!! You're screwed, you'll never win! Or be good enough. It's taken over thirty years for mine to accept me and I can tell you, it was

I'm sold on the 20! Cheers RF boy

Very quiet with eley fourlongs, but if you want any range out of them, you’ll need to be using the 3 inch carts. Depends what you need, but 20 gauge hushpower has better range and much harder hitting.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, tomburras said:

Hi rimfireboy sorry to get a bit off topic but iv fitted a weaver rail to my 20 bore hushpower and would like to ask, would this be any good?....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201476998442

And do you find it was a big help when you fitted one? Cheers.

The one you’re looking at is for 11mm dovetail fitting. I haven’t used one of these myself, but I have a tasco pro-point on mine and I find it helps a lot. My tasco is similar to the hawke red dot sights that are available now. It works so well with the full choke tight pattern of the hushpower, I find it hard to miss???.

• Thanks 1
On 05/01/2019 at 16:55, Rimfireboy! said:

The one you’re looking at is for 11mm dovetail fitting. I haven’t used one of these myself, but I have a tasco pro-point on mine and I find it helps a lot. My tasco is similar to the hawke red dot sights that are available now. It works so well with the full choke tight pattern of the hushpower, I find it hard to miss???.

So I assume you'd recommend one whether I go .410 or 20.

12 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I would, but the receiver isn’t drilled and tapped on the .410 for some reason.

I wouldn't have thought there would be much call for it , that would be my guess as to why it isn't drilled and tapped!

:thumbs:

2 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Well the 20 and the 12 are, so why not the .410?

Very few shotguns of any sort are!      Am I missing something, are we talking red dots or the likes on a shotgun?

Any scope/laser/sighting device on a shotgun has very limited use as the distance/spread and arc of any shotgun ammo is terrible!

Edited by Deker
3 hours ago, Deker said:

Very few shotguns of any sort are!      Am I missing something, are we talking red dots or the likes on a shotgun?

Any scope/laser/sighting device on a shotgun has very limited use as the distance/spread and arc of any shotgun ammo is terrible!

I think you are Deker. The red dot overcomes the aiming difficulty caused by the moderator on a hushpower pump gun. I find it much easier to get on target and hit my target with the hushpower fitted with a red dot, than without one.

i use a mossberge 410 pump and out of my guns its probs my favourite ,great for ferreting light weight and fun to use ,i shoot birds etc within range of course ,noise ?quite quiet in the right conditions/terrain,only downside is price of carts and finding a gunbag to fit  the moderator,

25 minutes ago, codmaster127 said:

i use a mossberge 410 pump and out of my guns its probs my favourite ,great for ferreting light weight and fun to use ,i shoot birds etc within range of course ,noise ?quite quiet in the right conditions/terrain,only downside is price of carts and finding a gunbag to fit  the moderator,

410 is probably the only cartridge still cost effective to reload for and (noise aside) makes for better performance over most factory ammo options!

There's nothing wrong with using a sight, but I've never used a sight on a shotgun. Properly swung, a shot gun shoots where you look. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about a sight. I can break clays all day without and whilst I'm no George Digweed, I have come 2nd in a couple of club competitions in the past. 

The main thing with a shotgun is to get your swing right and get used to using your eyes as the sight. As I said, properly aligned, the gun will shoot where you look. So look down the barrel, swing though and pull the trigger at the correct lead. Never shot a hushpower, but can't see why it would be any different. It's a barrel, just fatter.