.410 hushpower thoughts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahhhh. Now we are getting to the truth! The mother in law!! You're screwed, you'll never win! Or be good enough. It's taken over thirty years for mine to accept me and I can tell you, it was

I'm sold on the 20! Cheers RF boy

Very quiet with eley fourlongs, but if you want any range out of them, you’ll need to be using the 3 inch carts. Depends what you need, but 20 gauge hushpower has better range and much harder hitting.

Posted Images

Very quiet with eley fourlongs, but if you want any range out of them, you’ll need to be using the 3 inch carts. Depends what you need, but 20 gauge hushpower has better range and much harder hitting. I’ve got both, and find the fourten lacking compared to the twenty. Both have their uses though, but for me, the twenty is more useful than the fourten in most situations.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Very quiet with eley fourlongs, but if you want any range out of them, you’ll need to be using the 3 inch carts. Depends what you need, but 20 gauge hushpower has better range and much harder hitting. I’ve got both, and find the fourten lacking compared to the twenty. Both have their uses though, but for me, the twenty is more useful than the fourten in most situations.

Want sell the 410.? 

1 hour ago, james t said:

good gun better off getting mossberg 3 shot tho 

Exactly what I'd be after.

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Very interest in this comparison, didn't consider 20 hushpower, obviously the noise is the consideration because of animals, in particular horses and donkeys who won't appreciate me being out bang bang with a 12. How is the sound difference between the .410 and 20, I imagine as the shooter the sound isn't much different but how is the difference if you're stood say 10 yards and 50 yards away?

Yeah I'm trying to introduce them to it, but we have one skittish horse that is terrible so while I'm of the opinion of deal with it others at home aren't so in agreement, plus it's not so much being in the fields with them it's being next to the stables for example where they can do damage.

18 hours ago, S.Maclean said:

Exactly what I'd be after.

Very interest in this comparison, didn't consider 20 hushpower, obviously the noise is the consideration because of animals, in particular horses and donkeys who won't appreciate me being out bang bang with a 12. How is the sound difference between the .410 and 20, I imagine as the shooter the sound isn't much different but how is the difference if you're stood say 10 yards and 50 yards away?

Twenty is a bit louder, but not a lot depending on cartridges. If you want to be as quiet as possible, your probably better off with the fourten. You can however, achieve fourten 3” performance and noise with a twenty hushpower by using Hull subsonic 20. They’re 23 gram and perform similarly to a magnum fourten load, probably a bit better. It just depends on your needs really, but the twenty will definitely offer superior performance overall, as you’d expect.

DFF84915-A618-41FE-977D-A966D01BE0E6.jpeg

Twenty is a bit louder, but not a lot depending on cartridges. If you want to be as quiet as possible, your probably better off with the fourten. You can however, achieve fourten 3” performance and noise with a twenty hushpower by using Hull subsonic 20. They’re 23 gram and perform similarly to a magnum fourten load, probably a bit better. It just depends on your needs really, but the twenty will definitely offer superior performance overall, as you’d expect.

DFF84915-A618-41FE-977D-A966D01BE0E6.jpeg

A 20 makes more sense because I appreciate that it's more versatile and It sounds like I could have cartridges for different uses, What's the cost difference like between feeding each one and buying? I've done a bit of research but with you having both what have you found?

Twenty’s are generally cheaper than fourten. I’d recommend eley hi-flyer for the twenty hushpower. Fibre wad, not plastic, as only the fibre are subsonic. I bought a thousand for just a bit over £200 a while back, still got nearly two slabs left. If you need to be really quiet you won’t beat eley fourlongs in a fourten hushpower, but as I said before, they have limited range. If you’re shooting rabbits with a hushpower fourten you’ll need the three inch magnums and they’ll cost about twenty quid more a thousand than the twenty gauge hi-flyers. They might have gone up a bit since I bought any though.

Twenty’s are generally cheaper than fourten. I’d recommend eley hi-flyer for the twenty hushpower. Fibre wad, not plastic, as only the fibre are subsonic. I bought a thousand for just a bit over £200 a while back, still got nearly two slabs left. If you need to be really quiet you won’t beat eley fourlongs in a fourten hushpower, but as I said before, they have limited range. If you’re shooting rabbits with a hushpower fourten you’ll need the three inch magnums and they’ll cost about twenty quid more a thousand than the twenty gauge hi-flyers. They might have gone up a bit since I bought any though.

I appreciate the time and knowledge mate. So I think I'm convinced by going 20, just noise being only factor that could change it, would the 20 disturb people 70 yards away in a house with subsonics, the animals have to get accustomed to the sounds but the mother-in-law is another matter... that's my final question really and if you think it's not going to be excessive at that distance then I'm sold on a 20.. I just have zero experience with trying to be quiet with me 12 bore. 

Ahhhh. Now we are getting to the truth!

The mother in law!! You're screwed, you'll never win! Or be good enough.

It's taken over thirty years for mine to accept me and I can tell you, it wasn't a gun that needed the moderator!!

Best of luck with that but at 70yds and your involved (the son in law) I bets she can hear a pin drop!

U?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Ahhhh. Now we are getting to the truth!

The mother in law!! You're screwed, you'll never win! Or be good enough.

It's taken over thirty years for mine to accept me and I can tell you, it wasn't a gun that needed the moderator!!

Best of luck with that but at 70yds and your involved (the son in law) I bets she can hear a pin drop!

U?

??

Fortunately she likes me more than her own kids... Just as I say the horses need to become accustomed, all the horses.

She's bloody psychic anyway, nevermind a pin drop, she's probably already tutting for me thinking of another gun and she's 130 mile away this week.

• Haha 1