Deer dogs

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This lad was owned by a very good mate saw him take a good number of fallow 

Saw a good few of this cross on deer,once they have a hold of them there not letting go ,this bitch was the same cross and she put a few away pre ban 

The fastest of lurchers will be straight lined by a fallow at some point in their career if they run enough of them.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, billhardy said:

i have see the odd exception but on the whole limitation hey joe the jukel and the mix if mixed and of course the jukel in itself atbbill

Same here Bill there is always going to be exceptions to the rule, in this case though the best I have seen were around the height and weight I said, I see lots of people getting hung up on size wanting taller as they think that means better which I personally don't think is the case for the job were speaking of.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, joe ox said:

Same here Bill there is always going to be exceptions to the rule, in this case though the best I have seen were around the height and weight I said, I see lots of people getting hung up on size wanting taller as they think that means better which I personally don't think is the case for the job were speaking of.

It's true versatility can and does get lost both ends of the scale atb bill

30 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Penda was she local bred ta you   Would you knowatbbill

Reason I ask penda we bred some three quarter breds maybey fourteen fifteen yrs ago a bitch I can't remember where she went.they were top honch grey on the f1 alsation grey,it maybey just a coincidence atb bill

1 minute ago, billhardy said:

Reason I ask penda we bred some three quarter breds maybey fourteen fifteen yrs ago a bitch I can't remember where she went.they were top honch grey on the f1 alsation grey,it maybey just a coincidence atb bill

Plus the bitch retained was mad for Charlie .atb bill

1 hour ago, billhardy said:

Penda was she local bred ta you   Would you knowatbbill

She originated from Wales I think mate she looked just like a grey hound she was bred to a saluki bull grey dog I worked a son to her for a mate he was a decent dog 

57 minutes ago, billhardy said:

It's true versatility can and does get lost both ends of the scale atb bill

as they say every dog different , ok certain xs will  produce  simlar size/ temps , but i only go on dogs  that ive seen work over the years, and  the one thing that always struck me about my own dog Buck , his is agility  speed for big dog, there was never great deal between  Bryn and him with above, Bryn just had the edge on him. ive always thought  that 25 -26in  60-70lb  is a good size for all quarry big or small , Bryn was just rabbit dog though and a good.un  , but you carnt win them all lol 

2 hours ago, billhardy said:

Plus the bitch retained was mad for Charlie .atb bill

I never got to see her in her prime just her older years but by all accounts off a good few of the lads they said how she was just a natural dog on the deer she would get up the side of the deer and flip them over 

13 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I don't think it's down to a breed like been said ,some make the job look easy and best deer dog I see was lurcher x lurcher and took them no probs.

i read that old scotch collie was x to deerhound and they made better dogs for red deer .

I read that but think that was for wounded stags when firearms were coming in to the Scottish stalking scene,

saying that a shepherds collie has taking roe down south,on the Wiltshire /Dorset border.

4 hours ago, bird said:

as they say every dog different , ok certain xs will  produce  simlar size/ temps , but i only go on dogs  that ive seen work over the years, and  the one thing that always struck me about my own dog Buck , his is agility  speed for big dog, there was never great deal between  Bryn and him with above, Bryn just had the edge on him. ive always thought  that 25 -26in  60-70lb  is a good size for all quarry big or small , Bryn was just rabbit dog though and a good.un  , but you carnt win them all lol 

Bird....bit off subject, did Bryn ever sire any litters?

4 hours ago, bird said:

3 hours ago, Penda said:

I never got to see her in her prime just her older years but by all accounts off a good few of the lads they said how she was just a natural dog on the deer she would get up the side of the deer and flip them over 

Yep natural trait atb bill

5 hours ago, bird said:

Ray bucks temp I would say his the outstanding feature between him and Bryn .but that's just my theory ,plus alsation f1s are a very supple underestimated xs they cover the ground different than collie types and completely different than bull types ,.and most other xes has you know ,but lots don't his size power would tell me a handful of preban fallow would not drain him on a nights shining  perhaps even more single. Buck good jukel he been for yas Ray  very nice jukel for the xs .atb bill

32 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Ray bucks temp I would say his the outstanding feature between him and Bryn .but that's just my theory ,plus alsation f1s are a very supple underestimated xs they cover the ground different than collie types and completely different than bull types ,.and most other xes has you know ,but lots don't his size power would tell me a handful of preban fallow would not drain him on a nights shining  perhaps even more single. Buck good jukel he been for yas Ray  very nice jukel for the xs .atb bill

Just mind he don't stand on ya foot

18 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Might be me but if you had a dog take them then you would know something doesn't fit right with you with your answers 

What do you mean black mag I had 2 bitches the first was a bedlingtonx grey with a tad whippet she wouldn’t touch a roe  for 2 years  I was out ferreting one day and she ran a roe buck I looked around and the buck was running her back lol at 3 years old I ran her doubled up on the lamp with a dog on a roebuck after that she loved them by the the time she was six I couldn’t keep her away from them she couldn’t hold them down she ruined the meat she was not  a deer dog that’s why I asked the question what makes  a deer dog this was along time ago mind