Night time ferreting and lamping vid

Another video. Night time ferreting and lamping with gtpestcontrol

In this video I go night time ferreting on a full moon ( Old poaching method). I'm with a young keen hunting lad called Ashley. Hes a big help on the night and helps carry the equipment and rabbits and even helps dispatch a few rabbits too. 

Im using the Infra red filter from Ian Hodge Fieldsports supplies and its been a great help for spotting rabbits and other wildlife like a fox you see at the beginning of the video. 

Im using two hob ferrets ones a albino (HUNTER) and the other a is a silvery colour (Bolt) . This is really important to use light coloured ferrets so they are easily seen at night. You could easily lose darker coloured ferrets.

We ferret mainly open warrens but we do decide to ferret a large groups of trees. It is too large for the 50 yard longnet but we still manage to cover half of the it so  where I placed it was key. We didn't do too badly and caught 8 rabbits from 14 or so bolts, I cant be exact because I was so busy untangling rabbits whilst Ashly was keeping an eye out for the ferrets.

After that warren we ferreted a few smaller warrens catching the odd one or two and missing a few more. On the final couple warrens I asked Ashly to film and we managed to get a bit of decent footage on camera.

I took Missy the pointer x along and she did catch a couple runners which I was impressed with but then she got badly tangled up in the net. Which took me ages to sort out and watching the footage back I notice we lost a couple more rabbits.

In the end we finished on 21 rabbits NOT 22 like I thought. Thanks Ashly for your help and hope you enjoyed yourself. Its nearly a full moon again.

So I had to sort the Longnet out on a local field back home during the day. I buy some strong rubber bands to hold the longnet on the fibre glass poles. Then re-set the bagging in the net ready for some ferreting the following day.

Then finally in the video, me and Brandon my cousin go lamping with GTPESTCONTROL and Adam. When we meet after a 2 hour drive the lads have already caught a decent bag of rabbits. We manage to catch a few more but the wind drops and the moon was still out which ruined the rest of the night for us. 

I hope you enjoy the video. thanks

Edited by Andrewreynoldshunting
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a farmer I know was driving along in the land rover when there was a bump, he stopped and a cat was dead on the road, any way he recognised it as their cat must have stowed away under the bonnet and f

Another video. Night time ferreting and lamping with gtpestcontrol   In this video I go night time ferreting on a full moon ( Old poaching method). I'm with a young keen hunting la

If anyone wants to translate that it would be much appreciated 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Blackmag said:

i Still do it now open fields and a few golf courses  do one place on a big hill it's just like day light when that moon's up proper something about a frosty night under the moon no one around good times surprised it's not done more than it is 

I honestly prefere it to day if I'm honest. Especially when your poaching. I'm hoping some new ground will be ideal. Not seen what rabbit numbers are like yet but it's sheep pasture. So hopefully some nice open warrens. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Hopefully it holds good numbers and you have a good do I enjoyed your vid good luck buddy I look forward to your next vid 

Next one will be lamping with Missy and lass I think local then cooking a curry with it. Not big numbers but harder to catch. Then got a couple ferreting and lamping on new permission vids. Thanks 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My kids love ferreting at night, am letting dog hunt up an find her own run on a nice bright full moon has got to be one the most exciting ways a hunting I ever tried ??

Get a long net out don along the hedge or wall and let the kids quard and watch it it's proper buzz watching there faces as they hit the net 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

My kids love ferreting at night, am letting dog hunt up an find her own run on a nice bright full moon has got to be one the most exciting ways a hunting I ever tried ??

Well I fancy doing that too. I can't wait for the snow too. Love it at night in the snow. Might go on some big land and let dog work up. Will film it with the infra red filter. Its amazing how well that filter works. All you can see is the red filter and a spot of red light on the ground if you point at floor. But with 109w bulb on striker, will be able to see the whole field. It will look like I'm lamping through camera. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Ran the Long nets around the Sweetcorn crops...sent a dog through and had a right mixture of critters, hit the nets, rabbits, hares, deer, and foxes...:clapper:

Now,.. that really would have made,.. a fabulously unique film...:yes:

Yes it would. I wouldn't like that task of untangling a fox in the dark. 

That rabbit in the video hit the net well. How did you find the hares hitting the longnet. Do they tangle up well with the meshes being small.