Sighthound crossed with spaniel or pointer

Missouri is were I am located for now and I think I have found some in the past so if I started looking again I bet I could find some. But for now I am just learning and trying to make connections and gain experience until I can get a good dog and hopefully not ruin it as I am still a newbie. 

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Get a dog an learn as you go pal, no matter what anybody says that’s how we all learnt, we all started off knowing nowt an to be honest your first couple lurchers will teach you more than any person ?

That is true it’s best to learn through doing but I think I will still hold off for a bit because I am saving up then hopefully I will be able to do some traveling and if I am being honest I need to get the dogs I have now under better control especially with recall which has been the hardest part for me unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If you end up finding good pointer lurchers in the States, let me know. I've been living in Germany for a bit, but will be moving back to Texas in August. I think in the next few years I'd like a pair of those for my next dogs to do a little bit of everything with. Best of luck!

-Michael

• Like 1
On 04/01/2019 at 12:53, msula87 said:

If you end up finding good pointer lurchers in the States, let me know. I've been living in Germany for a bit, but will be moving back to Texas in August. I think in the next few years I'd like a pair of those for my next dogs to do a little bit of everything with. Best of luck!

-Michael

I will definitely keep an eye out but may end doing my own my cross at some point if I don’t find what I am looking for. And I am looking and saving up to buy some land down in Texas.

On 18/12/2018 at 03:19, Kaisackett said:

How do you guys think the cross would work out and which breeds do you think would make the best crosses? 

I have a working springer spaniel cross lurcher, about five years old. Dam was the springer spaniel and  lurcher the sire, was an accidental mating of a gamekeepers dogs.

Id post a pic, but the photo site ‘flickr’ is having problems at the minute, but saying that on page 4 of this section I started a thread with some pics on it. I went for this cross as I wanted a lurcher had had a strong hunting instinct which would actively search for a scent ( not much game around where I live ), some lurchers I’ve had are just as happy to play with a stick as search for a scent and most of their time is spent  just walking on the path where I’m walking as apposed to cracking on and hunting for something.

To say mine is less than half sighthound she is surprisingly quick, nearly as quick as my other lurcher, not much in it although the other lurcher can turn sharper and a bit quicker. She’s caught most things, hunts very well and uses her intelligence well, sneaking up to certain areas to try and gain her advantage. I always say, you will get better lamping bred lurchers and better ferreting lurchers, she would do both and catch, but there would be better suited dogs ( but like I said she is less than half sighthound and would stand her own against most other lurchers that are less than 50% sighthound in both  those areas). 

However, she excels at daytime hunting up which is what I wanted, is a great mooching companion. Down sides...... she is sensitive to loud noises, more to do with her experiences as a pup and can occasionally yip when chasing, more through woods than open land....no big deal to me, sooner she didn’t, but that’s life.

I’ll post a pic when I can other wise, check out thread around page 4.

On 19/12/2018 at 22:24, gnipper said:

Brittany x whippet greyhound 

She was ok out in the field but impossible to live with, I gave her to a lad at work as she drove me mad.

Surely didn't drive you madder than your beardie x?! Lol ?

1 hour ago, troyboy17 said:

Beddy x grey for me

Seen some nice looking beddy  x greyhounds, never seen one working though.....Do you prefer 1st cross?

My other bitch is 1/4 bedlington on paper, well her dam was bed/ whip, sire collie/greyhoundxwhipet.

Edited by Shortstraw