Dealing with excess game.

Well geezers, I've been a bit quiet for a while regarding food . Just thought I'd share a little gem. The allotment, I'll admit has not been the best this year. However, you make the most of what you get. One of the best was my beetroot which did extremely well. Another was the chillis which were under glass. Now, thinking outside the normal I thought what a marriage that could be. I had my usual faggot mix (fry) together with onion, sage, salt and pepper, mixed with breadcrumbs and about 7 chillis and a quite large beetroot all blended. This is, quite literally, a fantastic dish. Whilst it was cooling I decided to have some with fresh tiger bread and to be honest I was blown away. Have yourselves a treat and give it a go. Jok.

A few pheasant and partridge gave me these beauties. 11 game pies made with pheasant ,partridge breast along with onion, mushroom and loads of herbs and seasoning alongside some meatloaf of similar origin but including chillis, sweet pepper, tomatoes and garlic. Not a bad result for next to nowt. Jok.

image.jpeg

• Like 10
1 hour ago, jok said:

A few pheasant and partridge gave me these beauties. 11 game pies made with pheasant ,partridge breast along with onion, mushroom and loads of herbs and seasoning alongside some meatloaf of similar origin but including chillis, sweet pepper, tomatoes and garlic. Not a bad result for next to nowt. Jok.

image.jpeg

looks top notch them mate, send me one over i put it in me freezer .

• Like 2

Eh up Bird, if I knew where you are I'd bring some with pleasure. There's one or two on here who have sampled my wares so to speak. Staffs/Derbs/Leics I'm right on the boundary. There's one or two from the Black Country who also have. When they read this they'll let you know. Regards. Jok.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 18/12/2018 at 16:36, jok said:

image.jpeg

Know this is an old thread jok but I've got same thing at the minute. A friend has just dropped me off some pheasant and ducks. I was guna breast them all and keep rest for dogs/ferrets. When you make pies like this to freeze do you fully cook them and then freeze, Or do you part cook? Also when you wanna eat them doyou have to defrost fully and stick in oven for half hour or so of do you cook from frozen and give it longer? Also if already fully cooked pre-freeze how do you stop them burning on re-heat, just foil over tops? 

Sorry for all the questions but wanna try this and stock freezer with individual pies as the rest of the fam won't eat it!

Well thank you for asking. I enjoy making all things country and to be fair all my mates get the benefit. Generally speaking all pies are fully cooked, left to cool and then distributed. However, some don't go and therefore go the freezer.  When we are ready to eat they are taken out, defrosted, covered in foil and entered into a preheated oven, 180 , reheated for 30 mins then opened up for 5 mins to crisp up. Results are fairly consistent with not too many complaints. As regards my meatloaf and other goodies, they never see a freezer cause the lads are gagging. I've started again this Autumn with the above and different types of faggos which are proving very popular. Best of all are chilli and beetroot and Stilton. They also freeze well. Good hunting and good cooking, Jok.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, jok said:

Well thank you for asking. I enjoy making all things country and to be fair all my mates get the benefit. Generally speaking all pies are fully cooked, left to cool and then distributed. However, some don't go and therefore go the freezer.  When we are ready to eat they are taken out, defrosted, covered in foil and entered into a preheated oven, 180 , reheated for 30 mins then opened up for 5 mins to crisp up. Results are fairly consistent with not too many complaints. As regards my meatloaf and other goodies, they never see a freezer cause the lads are gagging. I've started again this Autumn with the above and different types of faggos which are proving very popular. Best of all are chilli and beetroot and Stilton. They also freeze well. Good hunting and good cooking, Jok.

Nice one Jok, thanks.

How do you do the meatloaf? Have you done a thread on that before? If not I'd be interested in the info fella?

• Haha 1

Yes my friend I've posted before with the recipe. However, I'll give it again soon as the granddaughter has just challenged me to a game of cribbage. Can't let the little lady down. Jok.

• Like 1

Obviously this can be adapted. 300 gms each of minced pork and beef. 450 gms sausage meat. 1 table spoon sunflower oil. 1 onion. 1 carrot. 2 garlic cloves. 2 tsp chilli powder. 1 tsp dried thyme. 7 tbsp tomatoe ketchup. 2 tblbs worcs sauce. 75 gms breadcrumbs. Bunch rough parsley. An egg. Some sea salt.2 tbsp brown sugar and some black pepper. For the gravy. 1 tbsp flour, 1 tsp tomato ketchup and about 400 ml stock.

fry onion, (grated carrot) and garlic in the oil, stirring in the chilli and thyme, cooking for about 2 minutes. Leave this in a bowl to cool and add all other ingredients mixing well. Place in baking trays and smother in the gravy. In the oven for about 45 mins at 175 and should be glorious.

can be eaten hot or cold. Enjoy my friend. Jok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 03/11/2019 at 10:36, jok said:

Obviously this can be adapted. 300 gms each of minced pork and beef. 450 gms sausage meat. 1 table spoon sunflower oil. 1 onion. 1 carrot. 2 garlic cloves. 2 tsp chilli powder. 1 tsp dried thyme. 7 tbsp tomatoe ketchup. 2 tblbs worcs sauce. 75 gms breadcrumbs. Bunch rough parsley. An egg. Some sea salt.2 tbsp brown sugar and some black pepper. For the gravy. 1 tbsp flour, 1 tsp tomato ketchup and about 400 ml stock.

fry onion, (grated carrot) and garlic in the oil, stirring in the chilli and thyme, cooking for about 2 minutes. Leave this in a bowl to cool and add all other ingredients mixing well. Place in baking trays and smother in the gravy. In the oven for about 45 mins at 175 and should be glorious.

can be eaten hot or cold. Enjoy my friend. Jok.

I will be giving this a try fella, thanks ?

• Thanks 1