A quick walk around

philpot

I had a couple of hours to spare this afternoon so decided to go and look for the geese which had been feeding on ajoining farms but so far not on ours. I took both the 12 gauge shotgun and the Impact so if the geese were elsewhere, I would have a go on the crows with the Impact.

There were about 3-4000 geese on our perm but not in a position I could take a shot however a reccie showed where we could possibly ambush them as they flight in so all was not lost.

The crows were not to be seen anywhere and the rabbits had not come out to play yet so it was the pheasants to concentrate on. Two presented themselves, one at 39mt which dropped but to be honest, not a clean shot (my bad) so a quick second shot finished him off. A few hundred metres further on and two more showed themselves on the winter wheat, a quick shot at 67mts dropped the bird dead.

The second bird in the pair was at a point where I really struggled to see it clearly as there was a lack of contrast in the field and my wonky eye just was unable to get a clear view,so let him walk on. The light was now starting to present me with serious issues as I just could not see the cross hairs and another pheasant was allowed to walk away, oh well there will be another day and I am happy to come home with a brace of cock birds for the table.

Try again on Wednesday morning after the geese flight.

DSCF3550_zpsffjquaok.jpg

Phil

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philpot said:

I had a couple of hours to spare this afternoon so decided to go and look for the geese which had been feeding on ajoining farms but so far not on ours. I took both the 12 gauge shotgun and the Impact so if the geese were elsewhere, I would have a go on the crows with the Impact.

There were about 3-4000 geese on our perm but not in a position I could take a shot however a reccie showed where we could possibly ambush them as they flight in so all was not lost.

The crows were not to be seen anywhere and the rabbits had not come out to play yet so it was the pheasants to concentrate on. Two presented themselves, one at 39mt which dropped but to be honest, not a clean shot (my bad) so a quick second shot finished him off. A few hundred metres further on and two more showed themselves on the winter wheat, a quick shot at 67mts dropped the bird dead.

The second bird in the pair was at a point where I really struggled to see it clearly as there was a lack of contrast in the field and my wonky eye just was unable to get a clear view,so let him walk on. The light was now starting to present me with serious issues as I just could not see the cross hairs and another pheasant was allowed to walk away, oh well there will be another day and I am happy to come home with a brace of cock birds for the table.

Try again on Wednesday morning after the geese flight.

DSCF3550_zpsffjquaok.jpg

Phil

Nice bit of meat there for a couple of game casseroles ?

• Like 2