Anyone using pure beagle for bushing?

Bought a pure beagle pup for bushing along with my terriers. Numbers aren’t the best everywhere so wanted something with a good nose that would give tongue. Anyone else using pure beagles? Just wanted some more info like what age do they start to open up on scent, what age they start hunting for themselves. I know each dog is different so anyone working them just give me your experiences with what you’ve seen for yourself. Muchos Gracias!

Yes pal Start them doing little bits at around 6 to 8 months obviously you can start them older depending when they where born the season timing etc. take them best spots you know that got a good chance of holding, don't over do it with them working them for long periods,  Just work it up gradually. I find that way your not working them to hard so they dont give up out of boredom when there's nothing about. Second season I'd be leaving them out all day. First season to me is just building there confidence up and giving them the best experience posible to make the grade.

Edited by FKOF
1 minute ago, FKOF said:

Yes pal Start them doing little bits at around 6 to 8 months obviously you can start them older depending when thwy where born the season timing etc. take them best spots you know that got a good chance of holding, don't over do it with them working them for long periods,  Just work it up gradually. I find that way your not working them to hard and showing them the ropes giving them the confidence they need to make the grade.

Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve got mine out with my terrier and lurchers. Going to be using mine on bunnies also flushing to the runners. She’s only 16 week old so I’m not expecting anything out of her just letting her be around the action using her nose. At 6-8 month did you find yours working cover? Also what age did yours start giving tongue? 

To young for me that personally pal it's hard going that cover I find they feel the thorns nettles etc on there soft pads. They can start speaking at anytime really I had two sisters one speaking about 6 1/2 months the other about 10 months both had the same amount of work. 

1 minute ago, FKOF said:

To young for me that personally pal it's hard going that cover I find they feel the thorns nettles etc on there soft pads. They can start speaking at anytime really I had two sisters one speaking about 6 1/2 months the other about 10 months both had the same amount of work. 

I agree mate she stays out the cover and her soft pads will be why. Just wondered if you bring them on like you would with a terrier or do you do any other specific training with these scent hounds. I’ve had terriers. Do you find it’s pretty much the same game bringing on a beagle. I’m probably overthinking it. Just don’t want to miss a trick as not had a scent hound before ?

No special treatment needed mate if you follow what I said above imo you shouldn't go far wrong. Helps if they see other dogs in cover aswell never force them in! Got to be all there own doing. Id let her grow a bit if I was you get a few months of growing under her belt maybe do a little bit back end of season. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FKOF said:

No special treatment needed mate if you follow what I said above imo you shouldn't go far wrong. Helps if they see other dogs in cover aswell never force them in! Got to be all there own doing. Id let her grow a bit if I was you get a few months of growing under her belt maybe do a little bit back end of season. 

Thought so mate ? Thanks for the info bud. 

Good luck with your pup mate maybe someone else might be able to give you more info on there experiences but that's what's worked for me, ffs deffo don't be taking it lamping hates and rabbits lol

Edited by FKOF
6 minutes ago, FKOF said:

Good luck with your pup mate maybe someone else might be able to give you more info on there experiences but that's what's worked for me, ffs deffo don't be taking it lamping hates and rabbits lol

Come on mate, only got it incase the lurchers miss one on the lamp. Be no getting away once it’s older ??? 

• 3 weeks later...