12ft lb law?

Hi new to the site and got a question that I need to clear up but can't seem to find a straight answer......... I own a hw100 in 177 that I have been shooting air arms field pellets 4.52 at 11.5ft lbs but recently I have decided on trying a heavier pellet such as H&N barracuda match so i brought a tin and put it through my chrono and they are shooting something like a ft lb lower (10.5 ft lbs) so I've turned the power up abit (11.5ft lbs) but now if I put the air arms back through it will be over the limit so my question is how do the police test them? Is it the pellet you have on you at the time or do they use their own pellets at different weights? Will I be ok to use my heavier pellets at 10.6g shooting under 12ft lbs even though a lighter one at 8.4g will take it over. I'm slightly confused?

This is a question I put to my firearms dept a couple of years ago. In this area the normal method to test an air rifle / pistol is to take a sample of the pellets used but if no pellets are available, the police will use their own stock which in many cases will take the gun over the limit. 

Of course this is the method used when the police take a gun from a user who has been reported to the police and the gun taken away from the user. The police will carry out chrono tests using a Skan chrono which I am told is the standard issue for police firearms departments to use. My local RFD uses the same chrono so that he knows if his tests show a gun to be within the law, so will the police should a check be made.

Phil

• Like 1

They now take a sample of what you use

but at one time they used a heavy pellet such as bis mags witch in most pcp,s will put the gun over the 12flb

most plod will want your rifle to be over so they can take it away from you

your rifle dose not need to be as close to 12 any way

my last hw100 was sitting at 10 and a half flb and she was as accurate as any rifle iv had

some times more power works against you

and is some times not the way to go .

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

JSB heavies gives the best power in most guns and most tuners will use these to set up PCP guns . 

Best to try different pellets to see which ones the highest readings in your gun and it probably be the JSB heavies 

• Like 2

They can test with whatever pellet they like, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you stay within the Law.

Chances tend to be relatively slim of problems, but if you know you go over the limit with a certain pellet change things so you don't!

• Like 4
14 hours ago, timmytree said:

If the police take your rifle they may test with the pellets you have on you but they are also likely to send it to an independent tester who will know exactly what pellets to use to gain a conviction. Set to just over 11ftlbs with the most efficient pellets to be safe.

This was also something I discussed with my firearms dept and they said that it is very very rare to send out to an independent tester who charges £380 per test with proof of test and that was about two years ago so it is highly unlikely to bother with an air rifle query at that cost to the police force. 

Phil

18 hours ago, philpot said:

This is a question I put to my firearms dept a couple of years ago. In this area the normal method to test an air rifle / pistol is to take a sample of the pellets used but if no pellets are available, the police will use their own stock which in many cases will take the gun over the limit. 

Of course this is the method used when the police take a gun from a user who has been reported to the police and the gun taken away from the user. The police will carry out chrono tests using a Skan chrono which I am told is the standard issue for police firearms departments to use. My local RFD uses the same chrono so that he knows if his tests show a gun to be within the law, so will the police should a check be made.

Phil

There is no standard chrono, there is no standard test procedure.

51 minutes ago, Underdog said:

What police?

Unless one is being a complete all round idiot in the wrong place it ain't going to happen.

Exactly. I don't know of anyone who has had their gun tested, or know anyone who knows anyone who has. But for the sake of being legit, I'd either make sure it was under 12 with any pellet or get a FAC. Is it worth risking the 1 in 1000 chance you get tested for the sake of 1 ft/lb?

In all honesty, any avid airgun hunter is probably best getting an FAC. 

Then one can forget all about 'the limit'!

Whilst it's a pain to sell them once your in the system acquiring another is routine.

Also, I am of the opinion that a little extra umph certainly does make a difference in small game. Over normal airgun distance it flattens trajectory and helps a little with the wind.

Next ticket I may add my little 99 to my licence so I can run it around 13 and not fret.

There are so many airguns capable of more than 12 that are hamstrung and definitely not at their best, it's only a piece of paper stopping us!

Ok, I'm done now.....

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Underdog said:

In all honesty, any avid airgun hunter is probably best getting an FAC. 

Then one can forget all about 'the limit'!

Whilst it's a pain to sell them once your in the system acquiring another is routine.

Also, I am of the opinion that a little extra umph certainly does make a difference in small game. Over normal airgun distance it flattens trajectory and helps a little with the wind.

Next ticket I may add my little 99 to my licence so I can run it around 13 and not fret.

There are so many airguns capable of more than 12 that are hamstrung and definitely not at their best, it's only a piece of paper stopping us!

Ok, I'm done now.....

From 12ft lb a bit extra IS significant, despite what some may suggest, even 1 or 2 lbs.    2lb is nearly 17% more powerful, noticeable for sure.    18ft lb is 50% MORE than 12 and you WILL notice an improvement, that doesn't mean you necessarily need it, or have 50% more range or stopping power, but you will notice for sure and it can be very useful!!

Drifting from topic a bit but worth thinking about! :thumbs:

1 minute ago, Deker said:

From 12ft lb a bit extra IS significant, despite what some may suggest, even 1 or 2 lbs.    2lb is nearly 17% more powerful, noticeable for sure.    18ft lb is 50% MORE than 12 and you WILL notice an improvement, that doesn't mean you necessarily need it, or have 50% more range or stopping power, but you will notice for sure and it can be very useful!!

Drifting from topic a bit but worth thinking about! :thumbs:

28ft lb is fecking magnificent, especially with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums in a .22 Super10!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, timmytree said:

They have to use an independent tester if they want a conviction. The reality is that most of us will never need to have a gun tested. If however you get caught doing something stupid/illegal and they want to nail you then an independent test will give them the proof that they need.

Most clearly not the information I was given by my the firearms office locally so we will agree to disagree on this one but as a thought, why would the police firearms dept have a trained and qualified tester along with the equipment to do the job. Perhaps a different policy in our two areas, I simply repeat what the department advised and which I am inclined to believe.

It's all a bit out of the window as far as I am concerned as 95% of my air rifle shooting is done with a 47fpe .25 fac Impact anyway.

Phil

• Like 1
On 14/12/2018 at 17:22, villaman said:

JSB heavies gives the best power in most guns and most tuners will use these to set up PCP guns . 

Best to try different pellets to see which ones the highest readings in your gun and it probably be the JSB heavies 

I got a local gunsmith to service my hw100 a while back and as jsb heavies were very accurate I got him to have the jsb heavies to run at 11.5 with a ten shot chrono read out, then he did a 10shot chrono read-out with jsb exact 8.44gr and the reading was 11.2ft/lb and he said you,ll ha e no worried with it ever going over with any pellet.. 

• Like 1