Pure Greyhounds

That wouldn't be true mate race dogs get injured just as much as coursing dogs, dame to my pup was retired too brood as a young bitch because of a leg injury I take my bitch over all types of terrain since day 1 too toughen the tendons around her feet and teach her to watch where she is going so far she hasn't had any injuries 

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've worked a few ex-racing greyhounds. Not in a serious way that some lads do though. Never been into the numbers game or involved in serious pest control. Most of my sport has been hunting small ter

Ran the local flapping tracks. A one for the pot dog and roamed the streets like most dogs in the 70s.

I know nothing of bull crosses, but I did my own thing for years working percentages, and I had better dogs before  and since is all I can say, and in 50 years of coursing dogs I learned a lot, some p

Posted Images

Only thing i have found when seeing pure greyhounds work is how easily their skin seems to rip or tear , my brother had a blue greyhound bitch from Ireland about 27tts she was very game the first deer she ran she took over it in the field thinking it was a game, few nights out rabbiting and she clicked and had massive amounts of drive poor bitch killed herself running into a tree in her second season but she would have been well worth breeding constantly catching anything before a single turn

• Like 1
6 hours ago, rob284 said:

I was told to go for the racing greyhounds for breeding lurcher rather than the coursing as they don’t have too heavy of a frame and less injury prone. Don’t know if there’s much truth in it but it’s worth a thought

I think it depends on what you want to bred from her. 

The lad I got my bedy greyhound from only keeps Irish coursing dogs and bedlington terriers ,he as two g,hounds .He said they both good bitches and do well against the coursing hounds the pakies are running .

if I was looking to breed firstx i would look for Irish coursing blood or a distance track dog,

plenty of lads lasses have worked greyhounds with success on all uk game and bigger.

i see a old lady that walks two x track dogs along bridle way that cuts through large estate and while she keeps to path her hounds are always looking for a run and they have had few hares and dealt with fox no problem.

im sure folk have had pups and schooled them like a lurcher to make them alrounders .

the g,hound gives so much more than speed to a lurcher,

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

The lad I got my bedy greyhound from only keeps Irish coursing dogs and bedlington terriers ,he as two g,hounds .He said they both good bitches and do well against the coursing hounds the pakies are running .

if I was looking to breed firstx i would look for Irish coursing blood or a distance track dog,

plenty of lads lasses have worked greyhounds with success on all uk game and bigger.

i see a old lady that walks two x track dogs along bridle way that cuts through large estate and while she keeps to path her hounds are always looking for a run and they have had few hares and dealt with fox no problem.

im sure folk have had pups and schooled them like a lurcher to make them alrounders .

just name one 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TALKCHEAP said:

just name one 

Greyhounds been used to make lurchers from the start ,they put speed ,size,p drive into a x .if greyhound was only putting speed into a lurcher then might as well just stick to whippet .just my opinion .

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Greyhounds been used to make lurchers from the start ,they put speed ,size,p drive into a x .if greyhound was only putting speed into a lurcher then might as well just stick to whippet .just my opinion .

Problem is a whippet gases out when the greyhound is just getting going. 

Prob best starting with a good proven grew to start a lurcher line. 

Do love the greyhound thou there speed and there prey drive are hard to beat 

8 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I've worked a few ex-racing greyhounds. Not in a serious way that some lads do though. Never been into the numbers game or involved in serious pest control. Most of my sport has been hunting small terrier teams in a way that these days I suppose would be called bushing. 1 of the greyhounds was not even mine but belonged to a lad who got a "free to good home" bitch with the intension of breeding from her. He  kennelled her for a few years without using her and she did not have a great quality of  life. He give me a spare key to his yard and I started  to take her along on my "bushing" activities.

This bitch and the others that I've worked took to field work like ducks to water. Good rabbit catching dogs, ok on hares (admittedly my standards are probably not as high as some) and natural fox killers. The land that I worked was a mix of soft low ground arable farms and what was left of the open cast mining sites in my area. Maybe I was lucky but never had a problem with their feet and they were far from fragile. And this thing about greyhounds being thick? Simply not true.

I always felt slightly privileged to walk out with such beautiful hounds. 

Nice honest post that eastcoast. ?

• Like 5