Pure Greyhounds

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've worked a few ex-racing greyhounds. Not in a serious way that some lads do though. Never been into the numbers game or involved in serious pest control. Most of my sport has been hunting small ter

Ran the local flapping tracks. A one for the pot dog and roamed the streets like most dogs in the 70s.

I know nothing of bull crosses, but I did my own thing for years working percentages, and I had better dogs before  and since is all I can say, and in 50 years of coursing dogs I learned a lot, some p

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Busher100 said:

You only need to look at a picture of a racing grey and a coursing bred one completely different shape much more heavily muscled the coursing bred, my bitches dame was 28 and 82 pound her sire was 29 and 94,  it's mad how so many people want to breed but hardly any (i know a few who have) take the time to find and try to rear a good working greyhound to breed lurchers

Fair play busher I done the same thing myself, got my coursing bitch when she was 12 weeks old. ?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Busher100 said:

The plan is to work her and if she'll kill foxes and stays sound physically for a few seasons then I will retire her and breed a few litters out of her to a proper stock bull then back to her best son, but if she's got no balls she won't just be given a pass because she's a greyhound, I haven't worked a adult of either type but have spoke to people who have (both types) a good one of both types will kill foxes but physically the coursing bred greyhound is much bigger and heavier set and can reach 100+ you wont see many if any racers past 80-85 pound 

Be nice to see how she turns out and hopefully does the business for you ?

All the best

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peng said:

Where would you come across a pure coursing greyhound would they only come up in Ireland 

Majority are bred in ireland but it's no bother to send them over, about 150 for everything passport transport the lot. Well bred ones are sometimes a bit too much for what most lurcher people are willing to pay 

• Like 1

Was chatting to a keen fellah t'other day,...he had purchased an exceptional coursing Greyhound bitch from Ireland...

She was not cheap,...? 

His next stop was to secure the services of a top-class battle dog, via Croatia,...obviously a serious kinda lurcher enthusiast...:yes:

I suppose, if that is what you want, ya might as well go full on to establish a good starting point for a future line...

Good luck to him,.it is a long old project,... but, that will to win, often secures a victory...?

• Like 6

Back in the 1980,s a lad I new not well, but friend of a friend type thing and a good dog man I,d go out with from time to time got a greyhound free from an Irish racing kennel it refused to chase the electric hare, apparently it was a bit smarter than the average grew and new the hare was not real or worth chasing, this dog would lamp, retrieve and do pretty much what a decent lurcher would, it's crowning glory was on a trip to Scotland when it ran and caught a red stag single handed, the deer was ran for several miles and caught crossing a river the lad had to jump in and finish things but a very impressive feat for a pure grew and I,ve never heard of a better one to this day or even one worth owning for more than a few quick runs then back in the van ?

Yeah mate I wouldn't ever breed anything to anything average, I'm in two minds wether to buy another in to hopefully have better chance of getting a real good one, could've had one the other day big 30 tts white fawn one but it was a dog and I'm just after good bitches  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

I'm surprised greyhounds are not more common for working lots of the country is arable and assuming your not after rabbits 3 runs on bigger things is enough for most

I'm surprised as well really. But if it's legal where you live, they're great to run ?

Edited by shaaark
1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Yeah mate I wouldn't ever breed anything to anything average, I'm in two minds wether to buy another in to hopefully have better chance of getting a real good one, could've had one the other day big 30 tts white fawn one but it was a dog and I'm just after good bitches  

have you not got the race bred one anymore?

9 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

have you not got the race bred one anymore?

No mate she was due to come over I sent deposit and the geeza sent my deposit back as he sold her to someone closer, can't blame him tho really I guess it's more convenient to sell it in your own country than send it elsewhere, I'm always browsing the greyhound data and if another one that took my fancy came up I would take it.